• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Negotiations skills (or lack thereof)

What I do like, and it's happened to me with the truck I just sold, an enclosed trailer I sold yesterday and a scope I had listed on here. It's already sold at asking price and they are offering 60% of what you listed it for. It gives me a good laugh. All three things I've sold at asking price and the very first people to look at them bought them and felt the deal was awesome. Pure entertainment!!!

IMG_20170627_135642.jpg

You've got 107 positives and no negs or neutrals...I'd count you as one of our more successful traders... :)

OK. I'll start:

1. If you really want to sell, price it to sell.
2. I you really want to buy, don't offer less than 15% off their asking price. Any lower may offend and result in no counter offer. At 15% you should still get a counter.
3. Good pics sell.

Next..............

What I do like, and it's happened to me with the truck I just sold, an enclosed trailer I sold yesterday and a scope I had listed on here. It's already sold at asking price and they are offering 60% of what you listed it for. It gives me a good laugh. All three things I've sold at asking price and the very first people to look at them bought them and felt the deal was awesome. Pure entertainment!!!
neckbeard gonna neck.....

OK. I'll start:

1. If you really want to sell, price it to sell.
2. I you really want to buy, don't offer less than 15% off their asking price. Any lower may offend and result in no counter offer. At 15% you should still get a counter.

Next..............

Very good. I was just ribbin ya! LOL...

I agree with your number 1. Also, if I'm on the fence about selling, I will intentionally price on the high side...but if I REALLY get motivated to sell, the price will be a no-brainer.

2. I agree...I may not stick to the 15 percent, but yeah, make a REASONABLE offer.

I will add 3. If you're serious about selling or serious about buying, make an attempt at a timely pm...especially on a high-demand item. Don't say you'll take it and then take 4 hours to confirm a place and time...I have other people who want it and I have to tell them it's on hold until I hear back from you...

I agree with your number 1. Also, if I'm on the fence about selling, I will intentionally price on the high side...but if I REALLY get motivated to sell, the price will be a no-brainer.

2. I agree...I may not stick to the 15 percent, but yeah, make a REASONABLE offer.

I will add 3. If you're serious about selling or serious about buying, make an attempt at a timely pm...especially on a high-demand item. Don't say you'll take it and then take 4 hours to confirm a place and time...I have other people who want it and I have to tell them it's on hold until I hear back from you...

LMAO...I typed that without doing the math. 15 percent is definitely about right! :doh:

ABSOLUTELY (#3) ... When i make an offer on an item, i am ready to walk out the door to go and meet. Not tomorrow, not next paycheck, not after i check with my wife and definitely not after i see if i can get a better deal somewhere else!

How I price guns...
Consider what I paid for it
Decide if I am willing to let it go, even at a loss
Check the trusty interwebs machine for current prices
If it's selling new for $100 less than what I paid, I live with that
Price the item 10% or so less than new if it's in like new condition and/or or comes with accessories/ammo
Be open to reasonable offers. A polite "no thank you" to the lowballers.
This ain't rocket surgery, buds! I've lost money or broke even on 90% of the guns I've sold, but never more than $50 or so. But I sell them within a few days. I don't have time to waste meeting up with folks to not get deals done. When I put something up for sale, I'm ready to sell.
The same goes for buying. If I see something I want, I check current pricing. If the ask is reasonable, I make a polite inquiry. Many times I won't even counter if the price is right on the market. Is $20 really going to move the needle for him or me? I assume not. And I'm not looking to pick some guy off cheap if he is hurting for money. Seems like bad karma.
I'm not all about the haggling. I prefer deals to get done with minimal brain damage.

Back
Top Bottom