• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New gun owner. How did I do and how can I improve?

you did better then me my first time shooting, i shot the line that the target some back and forth on in half the first time
from the targets you're well on your way to protecting yourself

Last edited:
Come to an IDPA match. It provides some benchmark as to where you are and what you need to improve on. Monday in Alpharetta, Tuesday in Sandy Springs. Pretty soon the Wednesday matches in Norcross will be going again. www.gadpa.com
Thanks for the link. It looks like last week was the last match at stoddard's. That's where I went today. I might head up to sandy springs tomorrow. How many rounds would I need and what's the cost?

Im glad to hear that I didn't suck. Id really like to get better at the faster firing.

I disagree. He is using a glock 26, sub compact glock. I think he did a awesome job considering the cheap sights, short sight radius, short barrel, and not from a rest. I would be happy with those results.

At that distance your pistol is capable of making one big hole in the target. Get some instruction, load up on a bulk buy of ammo and practice, practice, practice.

I disagree. He is using a glock 26, sub compact glock. I think he did a awesome job considering the cheap sights, short sight radius, short barrel, and not from a rest. I would be happy with those results.

I'm with JD...I'd take those freehand groups most any day! You'd have taken care of business with any of them...

for me, i mean good shooting is putting it on the paper, im not the best with handguns

if you wanna improve, practice

i suggest getting a .22lr pistol since ammo is stupid cheap

IMHO that's pretty darn good for the first time out at the range, but IDPA is a whole nother ball game. Draw, change targets, tactical order, move forward & back while firing, reload & shoot from cover, shoot off handed, 30 Yards, Pop up non threats, all timed and dont forget where that finger is. Shot in B'ham at Brock's Gap and managed to not come in dead last but not by much. Its a lot more fun than a just one target and range rules. Check the safety rules and be ready to comply with the range commands. All us new shooters had a briefing with the safety officer. Learn to draw so your off hand is never in front or your weapon, learn to open a door in such a way as not point the handgun at your offhand, finger on trigger only when on target, down range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom