• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newton County Firearm Discharge Ordinance, Got 80 Acres?

Newton is country, just what was the trigger for this response? Was there an incident? Was it suggested by the feds tied into tax money (bribe with our own money)? What dumb ass conceived this crap?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit, I read where it seems to be a West Newton county thing. That area is not the best place, I lived near there 9 years ago and it was quickly turning into the hood. Marta bringing the outcast from mid-town development seemed to enhance the area's downfall.

Last edited:
Newton is country, just what was the trigger for this response? Was there an incident? Was it suggested by the feds tied into tax money (bribe with our own money)? What dumb ass conceived this crap?

Mechanicaldawg from GON said:
I was asked to post this here to get feedback.

The Commissioner that asked me to post it, I think, tends to agree with most here, that the problem was not with the existing ordinance but with the enforcement of that ordinance.

I sent him this message after a couple of rounds of feedback:

If you get right down to it, the whole thing seems like a matter of a politician or group of politicians taking the wrong action to correct a problem. The problem is specific and requires specific attention directed at the exact location of the alleged gunfire. From the reports I've been reading the gunfire has been coming from an easily identifiable cultural set. Go in and fix the problem and quit tap dancing.

He acknowledged agreement.

Meeting coming up.

meeting is tonight.

I could not go. Does anyone have an update?

BTW - it's the sheriff that is pushing this. He wanted a much tighter law, although the problem area (West Newton) is not meeting the current law. They have thousands of calls/year, most from W. Newton, and very few arrests.

"Hello, Newton County Sheriff's Department"

"I heard shots being fired!"

"Is anyone injured or is anything damaged on your property?"

"No"

'Click... dialtone'.

Back
Top Bottom