• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Odd concealed carry encounter

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
Took the family shopping at the mall last night, the wife and I were carrying concealed as we always do. I was wearing a "Keep Calm and Carry On" T-shirt with a flannel shirt over it, both untucked to hide my pistol. We had barely made it into the door when a young man made a bee-line straight to us, me to be exact. The wife moved to the side, putting distance between the two of them, while he came up and engaged me. He was very polite, and very energetic, complementing me on my shirt. We carried on a short conversation, and he flashed his carry to me, and went our separate ways. One thing he said was that he always looks for other people who are carrying wherever he is. The wife said that my shirt must have given me away, and that he never saw hers even though she had her hand on it as soon as she saw he was headed to us.

Afterwards we sat down to eat and talked about it. It really was an appreciated lesson, showing us both just how fast a situation can arise. It also reinforced the need for total awareness at all times. I was proud of my wife, moving to the side while I kept his attention was on me. She also went straight to ready, hand on her pistol ready to draw and nobody saw it but me. It was a real eye opener to us both.

I'm "that guy"....2A stickers on my truck, lots of gun related and pro 2A tshirts. Hell, I work at a gunstore, its kind of expected. :lol:

Interesting story. Sounds like you and your wife are both up to speed on situational awareness and communication. Sounds like he was too. Just curious, what and how you were carrying. Wondering if he was able to see you "printing". In SC, which prohibits OC but does not consider printing to be OC, I often carry a Glock 17 in an OWB yacqui type belt slide barely hidden under a t shirt and I don't think anyone's noticed yet. There were plenty of times when I was a plainclothes cop and OC'ed a pistol, badge, cuffs, and a spare mag and people still didn't notice sometimes. :lol:

Yeah, once you carry, you notice the others too.
But bothering a family about it is weird though.

Very weird indeed. I personally try and blend in as much as possible; no 2A stickers, shirts, or anything else that might give it away. Not saying the OP does this but its funny how people will be worried about printing but wear 2A shirts and have tons of gun stickers all over their cars....

I highly doubt I was printing I wear my shirts a little larger than I need them to be, and I was wearing two of them. Was carrying a M7P9c in a Grizzle IWB holster at @ 4 o'clock, the wife was carrying a XDsc in a Kangaroo Carry Air Marshal under a very loose blouse. He specifically said his attention was caught by the shirt, he tried to get me to "show him mine" but I'm not that kinda boy. :D

I never really thought about my clothing catching unwanted attention, all of my clothes that aren't work stained are outdoors or shooting sports related. I DO NOT go out of my way to call attention to myself with my attire, there are no stickers all over my truck. The wife and I both got these shirts last year on a whim and we've both worn them countless time with no issues at all. That is something that never crossed my mind as those kind of clothes are very common where we live and in the circles we travel. But we were away from home, and that is something that is sure to be addressed next go 'round.

He may have mistook your Keep calm and carry on shirt for a CC shirt. I dont know how with all the variations of it out there. But it makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom