• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One Gun Or Two

napp

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Was watching a You Tube video of Paul Harrell tonight on the subject of using a second handgun as backup. Toward the end of the video, he said that a lot of the things he had covered would not apply to most people since carrying two guns was illegal in forty of the fifty states.

I have been carrying for more years than I like to remember (many time with a backup weapon); but I had never heard of such a thing. Can anyone refer me to a document that clearly outlines Georgia's position regarding the legality of carrying two handguns.

He is correct. The number of guns you can conceal carry is sometimes directly specified by law. So, you could be breaking the law if you carry more than one handgun. Or if your permit is for a specific gun and you carry another, you could be breaking the law in some jurisdictions and states.

You'll have to refer to your local laws, which I'm certain the local PD don't even know. lol

For example:
New York operates on a “May-Issue” to residents-only policy at the local county level. Only handguns listed on the license can be used, and all firearms must be registered with the State Police.

Puerto Rico Concealed Carry law limits the carrying of more than ONE handgun at a time.

In Texas, your license may specify carrying only revolvers or semi-auto pistols, but you have to carry only the type specified on your license. You can get a permit that states you can carry both.

I am not aware of any laws in Georgia that state how many, or put a limit, on the amount of firearms you can carry.

It is not in O.C.G.A. anywhere that I know of, and it is not something that I have ever heard anybody at GCO or any of our legislators talk about.

It is not written in the laws that it is OK to carry more than one, because generally the laws tell you what you CAN NOT do. Not all the times, but most of the times.

Your Georgia Weapons Carry License is issued to you, for you. Not tied to a specific firearm, like in some other states.

The laws in Georgia are valid for the entire state. We have "Preemption" in Georgia, so that means that an individual city or town can not make up there own laws about carrying a firearm. Some other states do not have this.

I will do some double checking to make sure, but In my years of dealing with the current laws and helping teach classes, I have never heard this mentioned in Georgia.

Great question.....

Jerry

I pretty well searched all my known sources of Georgia carry law before asking the question; but I couldn't find anything specifically addressing the issue.

I am not aware of any laws in Georgia that state how many, or put a limit, on the amount of firearms you can carry.

It is not in O.C.G.A. anywhere that I know of, and it is not something that I have ever heard anybody at GCO or any of our legislators talk about.

It is not written in the laws that it is OK to carry more than one, because generally the laws tell you what you CAN NOT do. Not all the times, but most of the times.

Your Georgia Weapons Carry License is issued to you, for you. Not tied to a specific firearm, like in some other states.

The laws in Georgia are valid for the entire state. We have "Preemption" in Georgia, so that means that an individual city or town can not make up there own laws about carrying a firearm. Some other states do not have this.

I will do some double checking to make sure, but In my years of dealing with the current laws and helping teach classes, I have never heard this mentioned in Georgia.

Great question.....

Jerry

Absolutely right, i was just giving the PC answer. I don't know where everyone lives so didn't want someone to take this info as gospel for their own state. It's best to research it. GA doesn't have any law stating it's illegal/legal and CCWs are issued per person not per weapon.

Back
Top Bottom