• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Optimized Suppressed Upper build

mtdawg169

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
These days, there are all sorts of products and gadgets out there to help deal with shooting suppressed (technically over gassing). Adjustable gas blocks ("AGB"), adjustable carriers, the WAR upper, even adjustable gas keys to replace the standard versions. The primary reason we have seen the introduction of these products is because the introduction of a suppressor increases gas flow and overall pressure within the system. This increased pressure can cause functional issues & excess gas ejected from the receiver.

To me, none of these solutions are really ideal. Most of them involve the addition of small set screws, detents, etc that quite frankly, I just don't trust. Sure, they work. But adjustable gas blocks started in the competitive world and have been adopted by the casual shooter. Adjustable carriers and gas keys came along as a drop in solution for folks that didn't want to screw around with the gas block. Or feasibly, something you could install and adjust without disassembling the upper.

Adjustable parts exist primarily for one reason. Too damn many companies are producing barrels with huge gas ports. That's fine if you're shooting unsuppressed and like to shoot weak steel case ammo. However, introduce full power ammo and a suppressor and you may have functional issues from over gassing or the dreaded "gas face".

Regarding the use of adjustable parts, one of the things I've always felt was that while they work, reducing gas flow at a location other than the gas port, was not ideal. It works, but realistically, all we're doing is putting a band aid on the real issue - a hogged out GP.

What do I mean by oversized? Well, when I run something like my BCM or KAC uppers with a suppressor, they are reliable, gas isn't too terrible and recoil impulse is smooth. Comparatively, alot of guns would require a heavier buffer to achieve the same feel and would still dump a lot of gas in your face. My buddy's MK18, not so much. While DD makes a fine weapon, the commercial version of the MK18 uses a larger port than the one they build for the military. Why? So people don't bitch that it won't run weak ammo. Downside? Harsh recoil and tons of gas with a suppressor attached.

So what's the best solution for someone who wants to shoot suppressed, most if not all of the time? The better solution is ultimately, a smaller gas port, reducing the gas flow at the source. Problem? No one offers them specifically sized for suppressor use, ever. I've known a few guys that had connections with companies like Noveske that were able to custom order a barrel for this purpose and spec out their own gas port size. But for the masses, it just hasn't been an option. Most manufacturers don't want to bother with them because the market for a reduced gas port ("RGP") barrel is fairly narrow. It's not for your average shooter.

Well, a friend of mine works for Sionics Weapon Systems in AZ. Alot of you have probably never heard of them. The best way to describe Sionics, is that they're basically BCM, before most of you had ever heard of BCM. These guys are committed to quality, using high quality parts throughout and building solid guns. In fact, they have contracts with several police departments around the country, including Atlanta PD and Sandy Springs PD.

SIONICS has just released what I've been wanting for a long time. An 11.5 reduced gas port barrel, that is quality made throughout. It's currently on pre-order, so I should have it in a few weeks. And it is designed primarily for suppressed use. Per Sionics, it's for "suppressed use only" but set up correctly, can be used reliably without the suppressor too. This means, the gas port has been sized on the ragged edge of small. And that's a good thing for me. It's small enough to work reliably, but not so small that it can't serve double duty.
Pros: reduced gas and recoil.
Cons: possible ammo sensitivity during unsuppressed use.

dcc42afbd6973d82a831fd76baeca6f2.jpg

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/5/61-5-chrome-lined-stripped.html

Barrel specs:
These Barrels are designed for use with a suppressor. We do not recommend using them without a suppressor as the weapon may not cycle properly.

These will be Limited production runs and only a handful will be available at a time. Availability will be intermittent.

SIONICS Barrels are manufactured from CMV 4150 Ordnance Steel. All Barrels are Radiograph and MPI tested.

Features:

11595E CMV 4150 Steel
M4 Barrel Extension
5.56mm NATO Chamber
1/7 Twist Rate
.750 Gas Block
Chrome Lined Chamber and Bore
SIONICS Designed Medium Contour
Manganese Phosphate Finish
Standard 1/2X28 Muzzle Threading
Carbine Gas System
X-Rayed and MP Inspected
Barrel Weight - 1 lb. 7 oz.

Build plans
Sionics 11.5 RGP barrel
BCM4 upper receiver
BCM KMR-A rail - 10"
LMT enhanced carrier (Gen 4)
BCM bolt
Standard BCM gas block
Upper will be mounted on a lower already equipped with a Vltor A5 buffer system.

I'm already very acquainted with the LMT enhanced carrier and Vltor A5 buffer system. Both are well proven additions, especially for suppressed use. My goals for this build are as follows:

Reduced weight vs my current 11.5 upper
Reliable function with / without suppressor
No adjustment or buffer swaps necessary
Minimal recoil / smooth impulse
Less gas face

Will it be the ultimate suppressed upper build? I guess we'll see. But I'm looking forward to it in a big way.

More info here on the barrel. The author of the thread snagged one of only a few that were overruns from the original PD order.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=178402

A little more info from Sionics Master Armorer.

Just to add some additional information to this. The first batch of barrels was done for a specific client (local SWAT) that wanted to replace their Über-heavy 11.5" piston guns. The goal was to trim weight, reduce gassing and maintain reliability with their duty ammo. They also stated that these would only be used with suppressors and the likelihood of shooting without one was very slim. However, we wanted to ensure that they would run un-suppressed in an emergency.

Once we had the basics down we then used a variety of port sizes and conducted testing with several types of ammo and buffer combinations. The end result was a suppressed SBR that would cycle and function with a wide variety of ammunition, and utilize standard components (no adjustable gas block).

Build list:

BCM4 upper receiver
BCM KMR Alpha - 10"
BCM gas block and tube
Sionics RGP 11.5 barrel

Already on hand:

LMT enhanced carrier
BCM bolt, cam pin, firing pin, etc
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Magpul MBUS Pro sights
Aimpoint T1 w/ Bobro mount
BCM KAG
Surefire Mini Scout on a KAC keymod mount

All riding on a Form 1 BCM lower with Geissele SSA trigger and Vltor A5 buffer system. This thing is going to be sweet.

Just one thing missing...
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160201_073dfa85bac668152fe4cc8597c22663.jpg

Gonna be one badass build dude!
Thanks man, I'm pretty stoked about it. This one really is an exercise in optimized suppression. The barrel, LMT enhanced carrier and Vltor A5 buffer system will all play a part. I'll have to experiment a bit with A5 buffers and the Springco Green spring vs standard Colt rifle length action spring. But once I dial in the right combination, it should be one sweet shooting upper. Nice and smooooth.

Thanks man, I'm pretty stoked about it. This one really is an exercise in optimized suppression. The barrel, LMT enhanced carrier and Vltor A5 buffer system will all play a part. I'll have to experiment a bit with A5 buffers and the Springco Green spring vs standard Colt rifle length action spring. But once I dial in the right combination, it should be one sweet shooting upper. Nice and smooooth.
Have u or do u plan on messing with the griffin sob buffer? I plan on running a war upper. Read a lot of good things about them.

I just received the griffin snatch charging handle for mine to try out when i get my suppressor in. The lmt enhanced carrier. Does the bolt come with it or can you use any bolt? Any experience with the griffin enhanced bcg? Wondering if they are similiar.

I just received the griffin snatch charging handle for mine to try out when i get my suppressor in. The lmt enhanced carrier. Does the bolt come with it or can you use any bolt? Any experience with the griffin enhanced bcg? Wondering if they are similiar.
You can use any bolt with the LMT enhanced carrier. I usually just drop in a BCM bolt.

I haven't used the Snatch. I run the BCM Gunfighter CH on all of my uppers. But I've never seen a charging handle that really made much difference with blowback. Even the PRI gas buster allows gas to escape. I just like the ergos of the BCM and they redesigned the latch to be more robust.

Honestly if you're depending on the charging handle to mitigate gas, you've got bigger issues. Namely the gas port itself.

Back
Top Bottom