• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Plates and Plate Carries II (Major updates..... DO YOU RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY)

Is there interest for me to host hosting a live Q & A session about body armor and misconceptions

• Absolutely, "I'm in"

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

bulletslinger101

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Good Day ODT.

Update: US Army, Getting Women’s/ Small Statured Service Members Body Armor Quickly Is an Unfunded Priority

Update: post 15: USMC PC Gen III in 2020. Post 16:

Updated with Female fit/ Small Statured Soldier Body armor in Post number 14

Update in Post number 12 and 13
. Check it out NIJ Ballistic Certifications & Stab Certifications for Companies providing body Armor. Body armor companies say their Armor is NIJ certified however check posts 12-13 to see if it is accurate.

See update 6 below as I am adding photos of what soft armor looks like and how it is worn with a plate. This is crucial as to how you wear your Kit. If you assemble it incorrectly it most likely could prove extremely harmful to you on the lighter side or Kill you.

So, I am thinking about hosting a live Q & A session about body armor and misconceptions out there I hear from those who haven't worn these types of things in the Military and even those that have but have not worn it as a direct combatant.

Topics covered would be:
  1. Concerns of protection with Civ armor packages and marketing lingo, (What to watch out for.)
  2. Soft Armor (SA), (Ballistic/ Stab) cal protection without plate
  3. Hard Armor (HA) cal protection w/o SA
  4. why you need SA behind you HA
  5. Threat protection against what calibers when coupled together and the additional protection you receive when wearing SA and HA together.
  6. What to ask various companies for proof of claims
  7. Anything else you would want to discuss.
I wont go into set up mag pouches and other gear as that is shooter dependent and where you like your things that make using your setup the most efficient for you as the end-user.

I am willing to have a zoom chat, call, whatever.... so that we as a community are able to have a meaningful discussion around Body Armor what are some. I'd prefer some sort of video so I am able to show/ demonstrate what I am referring to as discussions take place.

If there is interest, please vote in the pole. I will set this pole for 14 days, (2 Week). If we have a group of folks wanting to do this, I will make this happen for you guys.

*****UPDATE 1: I'd like to send interested people a PM as to when the first zoom will be held.

Please reply below "In" so I know exactly who to send the PM's to.

*****UPDATE 2: Coming our from AUSA this morning.

Self-Mending Armor

Impenetrable armor has yet to be developed despite many attempts, but researchers believe they are on the path to creating a synthetic polymer with the ability to heal, just like human skin. Army research being conducted at Northwestern University is trying to re-create cell regeneration in nylon, plastic and polyester synthetics.

What to Watch: The Center for Synthetic Biology at Northwestern is working with the Army Research Laboratory on research that within a decade could allow combat vehicles damaged by enemy fire to heal after a jolt of electrical energy.

******Update 3: Pole is offline as I would like to hold this thing quickly before I start traveling out of state again very soon. Will host Saturday morning 0900 for those interested.

Update 4: Please review PDF discussion points for tomorrows Zoom conference. I will post in a reply #5 below of will share my screen with you all when we are on the call for you to view.

I will copy a Zoom invite and post it in
******Update 4: BOL for the invite link (Here). Saturday Morning 0900.
I will be on 10 minutes Prior to the meeting happening. and post a link here.Please review PDF discussion points for tomorrows Zoom conference. I will post the ZOOM information directly below in update number 6 and will share my screen with you all when we are on the call for you to view.

*******Update 5:
I can not speak to Civilian body armor and what it will and will ot protect against however you need to consider what the NIJ approves as not all manufactures have their "Armor" tested by NIJ labs.

The will put wording on their page something like, "Tested in house to NIJ standards". FLAGS EVERYWHERE! This is a great start to a fantastic discussion.

******Update 6:
Ok so I get lots of questions concerning Armor.

1. How to wear it. Culmination of Pic 3 below.
  2. Do you need soft armor behind hard armor. Yes, This is what catches Spall and fragmenting rounds.
  3. How does one know if everything put together is done correctly. You carrier should have pocket inside for your soft armor and hard armor insert.. They should NOT Float together!
So here's what we will do. If you have a carrier, just a carrier no ballistics and your wanting to know the order in witch the ballistic go into your set-up here are a few photos to help you out.

*******Update 7

Scroll to 7th Post for NIJ Ballistic Resistance Standards of Body Armor.

You guys are always more than welcome to send PM's to me if your uncomfortable in a group format.

Major UPDATE 8. see post #12 below referring to what body armor manufactures currently meet NIJ standards:

Attachments

• Military Grade Body armor and Misconceptions.pdf
    655.1 KB · Views: 29
Good morning all./ I hope everyone is having a great start to their weekend. I was kist on the link posted above starting 5 minutes prior to meeting starting to the meeting in case folks wanted to do a little meet and greet.

I then stayed on 5 min after in case folks were running late...

I seems those interested are not wanting a group meeting but may want a one on one..... IDK. I'd like to do it so everyone learns together however, that may not be the best for all. Let me know down below or in a Private Message.

I hope yall have a wonderful weekend.

Respectfully
Chris

Update provided in Number 6. Soft Ballistics and hard ballistics and how they should be worn. There is Zero competition as to Soft Ballistics Vs. Hard Ballistics..

Hard ballistics compliments soft ballistics.

What I mean if your encountering rifle threat, you MUST have soft Ballistics behind your Hard ballistics for spall and frag purposes.

If you only plan on encountering only pistol threats, there is no need to add the expense of Hard armor as LONG AS YOUR SOFT BALLISTICS ARE PISTOL CALIBER RATED.

Please look at (Photo 1, Photo 2 and Photo 3 for clarification) attached.

Attachments

• Photo 1 Soft Armor.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • Photo 2 Soft Armor worn under Hard Armor.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Photo 3, soft and hard armor incorporated into your carrier.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
FYSA Approved NIJ Standard "Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor" NIJ 0101.06 (1.6 MB)

NIJ Purposed revision to this standard is NIJ 0101.07 (2.0 MB) out for Draft and Validation. Please keep in mind this is not a Standard at this moment.

Attachments

• NIJ Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor Stanadards.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • nij-standard-0101-07-ballistic-resistant-body-armor-draft-for-comment.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 7
Here is the biggest misconception/ misunderstanding and or question I get to date.

Q) Which armor should I get? Soft Armor or Hard Armor?

A) You need both unless you know for a fact you will NEVER encounter a rifle threat. Hard armor compliments Soft Armor.

Rational: Wearing a plate carrier is fine however for that carrier to stop anything, you will need ballistic(s) inserts and wear them correctly. (See thread number 6 in this post.)​

Note: Follow in number order sequence.

Please review NIJ standards for threat protection found in thread number 7 of this post (Directly above this post) titled "Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor NIJ Standard-0101.06" Chapter 2.

Note: Please keep in mind I posted a working copy of what will eventually replace the .06 publication.

If you have Body Armor, You must continuously train with it in order to be able to Don it in a rapid manor with an without kit as well as being proficient using it with shoulder fired weapons as well as pistols. Utilizing body armor in your train events will greatly hence you abilities and capabilities. It not just the weight aspect of the Armor complete, (whatever you have) but the Form, Fit and Function of it all and how your body reacts in various positions while wearing your system.

Please feel free to call and chat or text at the below number:

Just remember, investing in Quality Armor is investing in your life. If you so choose to skimp, you maybe skimping on possible coming home to loved ones.

UPDATE: 11 June 2020

1st thing to look for is a NIJ certification from whomever your purchasing from and get some sort of paperwork saying who performed the NIJ testing.

• NIJ/NLECTC Approved Testing Laboratories linked beow:

Info for you below to consider: https://www.justnet.org/compliant/N... Institute of Justice,and meets the needs and

(I would stay away from anything that basically says based on previous threat data, based in internal manufacture testing performed to NIJ standards of protocols.

I have had numerous questions from Fellow ODT'rs asking what to purchase first, the Hard Armor or the Soft Armor. (See thread number 8 directly above.)

If you like to get into some discussions, shoot me a PM and i'll send you my number. We can do a Face-time so your able to see exactly what I am talking about.

Please feel free to call, chat or Text the number below.

Back
Top Bottom