Revolvers

I thought I did. Simulated self-defense combat shooting. Rapid-fire several rounds into the center of mass of a humanoid target.
Think of games like PPC, IPSC, IDPA, etc.

Back in the middle and late 1980s when all law-enforcement agencies around the country got rid of their revolvers and switched to semi autos, their qualification rates went up and the scores that police cadets would shoot at the Academy also went way up.
No, you're defining the games themselves. I'm familiar with the major ones and have shot most of them. My question was specific in asking what you meant by "shoot better." I'm not trying to bust your chops, I just want a clear understanding of what you're getting at before I answer.

Are you referring to accuracy? Speed? Both?

The comments about police qualification scores aren't really relevant to the discussion of action pistol sports.

How so? If You make that first shot count. Does it matter which it came from? Whats the chance you are going to need more the 5 or 6 rounds of 357 to put a couple of BGs down? Make you shots count dont spray and pray.

Jeez ! Just like in B-movies and video games.
Only cowards and sissies miss in a gunfight , Right ?
I think what you are describing is at best ," Assassination" but more likely , "Murder".

Jeez ! Just like in B-movies and video games.
Only cowards and sissies miss in a gunfight , Right ?
I think what you are describing is at best ," Assassination" but more likely , "Murder".

Are we on the same thread? If you are just pulling the trigger with no sight acquisition you need to leave you gun at home. I never said people dont miss. But if you are missing 4 out of 6 shots you have a significant problem and need to spend more time and $ training and less time on odt. If your reason for carrying an auto is cause you cant shoot, then work on your shooting and then carry what you want.
You are responsible for every round that leaves your barrel...

While i dont believe they are obsolete I think they have a limited purpose. If the revolver was all that and a bag of chips, all military and police forces around the world would not have switched to semi autos. (AND) yes I know some police still swear by them. That said, Id think it a rare person that would want a revolver in an fire fight. Sure its ok in a daily defense situation but if they were to go against people armed with semi autos, I think the super reliability of the revolver would be traded for the capacity and quick ammo changes of the semi auto. ( lets not forget that a pistol sux vs a rifle BUT) People with no choice going against a person armed with a AR would more than likely choose a auto pistol over a revolver if a rifle was not available.

I carry a revolver to work because I need it to disappear in my pocket. the S+W light 38 special does this. It is however a weak round with limited shots. Yet its better than nothing. ( yeah yeah 38 killed a lot of people but so has flu )

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Revolvers aren't a train. Or a horse and buggy. They're a method of holding ammo until you can liberate the lead from the casing. Being that's the case, for reliability you can't beat a revolver.

No, they're not as pretty, or as slick, but unless you're trying to arouse the burglar with your sexy pistol not a single bit of that matters at crunch time.

I believe they are trying to suggest Progress.

Seeing how Phones are no longer attached to walls but carried in pockets, TVs are flatter than tacos and I dont have to fear the pain of a dentist ripping out a bad tooth without getting drunk first.

Using technology invented before radio might not always be the best option.

But seriously, does anybody actually shoot better in simulated combat action shooting games with revolver? With that long heavy double action trigger pull??

yes.

Don't know what revolvers you have been shooting but if you have a "heavy" double action pull, you need to get your gun worked on.

Speaking of long heavy pulls, how are those Glops doing with their Gen XXXIII trigger?

But seriously, does anybody actually shoot better in simulated combat action shooting games with revolver? With that long heavy double action trigger pull??

Oh yeah there are guys who are plumb scary with a double action revolver. They are out there and they are plenty capable.

Back in the middle and late 1980s when all law-enforcement agencies around the country got rid of their revolvers and switched to semi autos, their qualification rates went up and the scores that police cadets would shoot at the Academy also went way up.

Scores went up because they switched from full house .357 magnum loads for qualifying to whatever limp dick semi-auto round they were using.

Same thing happening now with dept. that are switching from .40 S&W to 9mm - scores are going up. Switch to .22 and everyone would shoot a perfect qualifying score.

FWIW I used to shoot in a PPC type match based on the Ga. police qualification course, using a S&W 586 and would consistently place in the top five. The shooters placing higher were usually shooting tricked out 1911's and the other also rans were typically shooting Clocks.

Back
Top Bottom