• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger precision rifle - Do I really want one?

Boz1911

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
404   0
Reaction score
Been thinking about a new Gen II Ruger precision rifle in .308. I can find them on GB for 1150.00 to my door (less than ODT prices) but do I really want one?? Are they worth that much? are they that accurate? is it a viable hunting platform for here in Georgia? I have optics that would work great already so I'm not worried about that or ammo for that matter. I have have a bunch of 308 loaded and can experiment if needed. So just let me know what you think or even for that matter what you've heard.

Me neither 240 yards would be the longest shot on my property. What about handling in a tree stand? would the folding stock be handy when hunting?

Me neither 240 yards would be the longest shot on my property. What about handling in a tree stand? would the folding stock be handy when hunting?

I dont know about it for hunting? I would probably go with a more traditional rifle to hunt. The stock seems like it might get hung up on stuff in the woods. I think of it more for trying to hit targets at 1000 yards, prone with a bipod. In reality, I'm probably better suited to shots within 150 yards with an AR. The mall ninja in me disagrees though.

It's a very bad design for typical Georgia hunting. Spend half the money and get a rifle in 308 that's just as accurate and much handier.

Remington 700 AAC.
themarksman.net_shop_image_cache_data_New_20Guns_Long_20Guns_Rc0276dfddcdd0e968f9a57115e8d7bf1.jpg

I do have plenty of accurate hunting rifles, that's not an issue. Just was wondering other than super long range shooting how the gun would be in a tree stand. I've hunted with my AR-10 and even though it's compact (with a 10 round mag) all the sharp edges seem to catch on everything.

I hunted with the gen 1 version,that I have posted on here for sale.I did not have a problem hunting with it,and it is the most accurate rifle that I have ever owned.Only reason it is for sale,is I'm going to try out the gen 2 this year

If just 240 yards, it would be a waste. I do not think the rifle is setup well for hunting, especially in a tree stand. The stock folds, but the rifle in general is heavy and really better suited for prone or bench type shooting. It would be just too cumbersome in a tree stand. Also, the RPR has an integrated 20 MOA rail base, which would also be a waste and never used at 240 yards.

You would be better off with a more traditional bolt action like a Remington 700 SPS tectical or even the Ruger American Predator in 308 (although I do not really like their mags).

I have a RPR in 6.5cm and it does great for what I want, but would not want to carry that thing through the woods or try to post up comfortably in a tree stand with it.

Below is the write up on mine.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...ts-and-overall-comments.1330719/#post-6707124

Back
Top Bottom