• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shooting to far away with a handgun

And then your wreckless behavior and deciding to engage someone at 90 yards which results in a miss , hits a mailbox and strikes a child ... what then?

You can tell they are defenseless from that far away?

You heart has no place in your holster . Only your brain should occupy that space. I’m not a cop and I’m not risking my life or putting others in danger unless I have no choice . Shooting someone is suppose to be a last resort.

Also your faith in our court system is far greater than mine. I’m not about to destroy everything I worked hard for to defend myself in court because I wanted to be the last action hero from 100 yards away. No thanks. I’d also be very angry if you harmed a loved one of mine because you decided to shoot 86 yards across a parking lot

My heart has nothing to do with it. If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

You stated earlier, “Not doing so while brave can also be very stupid.”.

I’ll turn the phrase and say that refusal to act positively at all, and choosing to flee instead of helping, can be cowardice. Can be, not “is”.

Funny, I was taught that running away was a last resort. Guess I was raised, and trained, differently.

Why do I have some faith in the court system in Georgia? Because I operated within its confines for many years; I saw how it operated firsthand. What is your personal experience?

You act like 100yds is some astronomical distance, at which vision becomes unsure and perception skewed. I can make out very good details at 100yds with my naked eyes. If someone was cowering on the ground in a fetal position while another person stood over them, striking with a baseball bat; I could easily discern that.

Not really. 100 yds isn't all that far. If you use even a stupid number like 90%, what is the likely hood that a civilian will need to use a weapon to defend themselves or someone else? It's certainly less than 10%. So by your reasoning, there is no need to carry, no need to practice.

No need to even own a firearm by their logic.

No where in any statement did I say you don’t need to practice or carry. I shoot 100 yards for fun because in the real world where I live the odds of being forced to use deadly force past 80 yards is just about zero.

What am I saying is practice for realistic distances first and not this nonsense of self defense at 100+ yards . I know how long a football field is by the way.

And no one said anything about not practicing at shorter ranges either.

wasn't a General, only a Platoon Sgt LOL.. But on a more serious note, even in General, practice, practice practice, just shooting a box of ammo on Saturday is not enough. I've got some LEO friends that couldn't hit the side of a Barn from inside it.. It's not always enough to just carry a weapon, but to know how to use it when the time comes, and it always comes when you least expect it..:doh:
Thank you for your service. But of course man for sure. The problem is training under stress because you know how skills can go down the drain for someone that is an expert shooter but never in a stressful situation.

I have my own 100m range and I shoot at targets at the 100m with a handgun, sometimes even a 12ga with slugs. If you practice enough, you can hit it at that distance with no problem, so at 25m you shouldn't miss at all. You can't carry a rifle everywhere you go, so you use whatever you have to fight back with what you have at the time. If someone starts popping caps at me from 100m it's good to know, that I have a fighting chance with a handgun rather than just lay there and get shot. :becky:

I have been shot st with a handgun at around 100 yards and I guarantee it will make you find some cover real quick.
I was far enough away I never heard the gunfire only the bullet zinging by, it will change your thought process in a hurry.

I don't really see where the yardage at which you practice makes a lot of difference unless you just want to rock and roll with a semi-auto or some such BS.

I shoot mostly revolvers and the sight picture, trigger skills and gun control are the same, regardless of distance. If anything shooting at longer ranges will emphasize any problems in mechanics.

I don't see how anyone who can consistently hit a target with a pistol at 100 yards is going to have trouble hitting one at 7 yards.

Back
Top Bottom