should I keep my nickles?

Someone had a thread here about why you should save nickles.
I think it was ChrisMac " I believe I spelled it right" my be worth doing a search for.

I don't think it was me. I'm a far bigger advocate of saving 90% silver and highly recgonized silver bullion products like Silver Eagles. Some hard core survivalists and metals fanatics think nickles will shoot up in value. You'd have to store massive quantities of the coins in order to make it worthwhile. I've seen folks ordering $1K or $2K in nickels...

Of coure we're talking run of the mill nickels here, not WWII era nickels with silver content.

I'm more concerned with storing as much value in as small a package as possible... while also making sure it's recognizable and easy to liquidate whenever needed. For me, that's silver and gold.

I get my 90% silver at pawn shops (most of the time right at spot value) or at estate auctions. Never pay marked value at pawn shops for common date or circultated coins. Negotiating a lower price is almost always acceptable. I also pick up rolls of the coins on Ebay when I catch one going for a fair price.

Apmex is okay, but a little overpriced.

I buy quite a bit of 90% silver coins at 95% to fair spot price if anyone is looking to sell.

Be careful buying generic "no name" silver rounds and bars. Those can be hard to sell down the road.

I just set up a spread sheet on my celphone convert coins to spot.

I.E. 90% silver quarter = .18 oz silver * spot = $_____

I just set up a spread sheet on my celphone convert coins to spot.

I.E. 90% silver quarter = .18 oz silver * spot = $_____

just use coinflation.com - they do it for you. quick snapshot of current melt value of all silver us circulated coins.

kitco also has a nice silver/gold spot price widget. i keep it on the home screen of my cell phone which at times can be nerve wrecking lol

also, nickels are only worth about 96% of face right now....have been around 125%, while copper pennies are worth 217% right now and have been higher.

a few 5 gallon jugs of pennies are nice to have around. i started keeping current issue nickels but haven't kept on stocking up since they are close to face right now

Back
Top Bottom