• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, how do the majority of gun owners afford to shoot often? I’m not referring to those who reload.

I see a few "classes" of shooters, each with their own ammunition consumption rates.

a.) The social shooter - goes to the range with a family member or friend, shoots the shyte more than guns, smokes and jokes, maybe spends 30 rounds across 3-4 guns in a two hour session, then off to the Huddle House for a hamburger and fries.

b.) The handloader - goes out to test hand loads once a week or so, shoots about 200 rounds, 5 rounds at a time, uses a chronograph to record data in a book.

c.) The novice - Wants to shoot more and is learning about guns and shooting. Maybe shoots 100 - 200 rounds they bought that morning at Bass Pro or Academy.

d.) The tactifool shooter - Burns through 4 value packs of .223 shooting at IPSC silhouettes at 15 - 30 yards with several mag changes between calling the range "hot" or "cold" to check targets to see his "shot clusters." May be seen to roll around on the ground or even use a VTAC board he made out of the old kitchen counter from his house when the wife remodeled the kitchen.

e.) The gear queer - Owns top tier ARs and optics, is constantly swapping out stuff on his "platform" and tests each variation with about 20 rounds before exclaiming, "It's all good." Returns to his apartment so he can play FPS games online with other virtual shooters. Expends 20,000 rounds of virtual ammo for every real round at the range. Considers himself a real "operator" and "was going to join up but....."

f.) The real deal - Competitive shooter who takes the sport seriously and tests/sets up COFs and practices under a timer for an entire afternoon looking to improve splits by at least 0.05 seconds or more until he "tops out." Usually shoots 350 - 600 rounds in an afternoon with a 98% hit rate, 75+% "A Zones."
You forgot the guy that always seems to have a case of whatever ammo his agency buys.

I try to buy a little ammo each month. I try to buy more than I shoot. I also try to buy primers and powder in case the time comes that loading 9mm is necessity but for now I only load 38 special.

I have a decent job. I don't smoke or drink or go out. I don't have any other hobbies other than shooting ( I do hunt and fish and go to sporting events but that is family time) . I don't shoot 1000 rounds a month. I drink water in restaurants and that saves me $1000 a year. I eat leftovers most days for lunch.

I use to shoot 500 to 1000rnds a week, then 3 kids later, etc etc... maybe 500rnds a month now. Sometimes more but usually not.

I buy in bulk, 1000rnd minimum usually, but I try for larger 5K to 50K orders and spilt between friends and family. As long as I can cover those that don't pay ( list gets shorter every time) then money is saved in bulk for all those that do.

It's money management. Like anything else in life.

My issue is a lack of time more than anything else. Father of 2, husband, demanding job both time and travel, kids old enough now that they have things to do every night during the week and during the weekends, and coaching kid's sports. It gets taxing. It's hard to take off for a day or two to shoot, play golf, etc.

Dry fire is your friend.

I primarily shoot shotgun and my shooting habits don't really fit neatly into any of the "class" of shooters.

If you see me rolling around on the ground then please dial 911.
I don't have top tear gear, but do own good quality firearms.
Not really into video games.
Some months I shoot a couple of boxes and some months I shoot a couple of flats.
I don't have a 98% hit rate in any clay target discipline so I guess that means I am a social, handloading, novice. :D

Back
Top Bottom