• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speaker David Ralston casts doubt on bill to allow concealed firearms without permit

I guess that's where we disagree. I think we're going to be fighting for our rights like never before in the next two years. This is just the calm before the storm.

Rather than push for Constitutional Carry, I think we need to be shoring up the bulwarks against 'universal' background checks and Red Flag laws. Those are the two that the Dems will be shoving down everyone's throats the next two years, and where Bloomberg will be spending all his money.

On the 'red flag' front it might even be worth writing a gun rights friendly version that includes due process to short circuit any attempt to pass one of the Bloomberg variants. Something that essentially streamlines the existing process to be more responsive and immediate, but still gives the defendant the same rights they have now. Who knows, it could become a model for other states as well, which would get rid of one of Bloomberg's most dangerous weapons against us.

On the 'universal' background front we need to educate lawmakers on why this isn't a problem in the first place (lots of studies showing criminals rarely buy guns from private sales), and that these laws turn innocent people into felons while not stopping criminals at all.

We only have a certain amount of political capital to use here in GA. We need to spend it on things that will make a difference, not on something that will get shot down anyway no matter how hard we push.

Republicans control the Senate 35-21 and the House 105-75. Most GA republican reps aren't like Florida's from what I have observed over my years of following/emailing/meeting them. We do of course have some rinos, but I don't expect much flipping for gun control out of the important folks.

I`m not going to whine. I appreciate what we have. I remember not being able to carry concealed at all in Ga. I remember taking a .22 pistol into the Paulding County court house to register it. I was given a "Pistol Toter`s License". Exactly as I said. It had to be open-carried. I appreciate the lawmakers that have gotten us this far. Some of you guys whine like democrats when everything doesn't go to suit you. I still want a carry license, even if we don`t have to have one. I would need it in other states. The writing is on the wall after this election. Ga ain`t always going to be run by Republicans. Enjoy what you have now. At least I`m retired. I can move.
More than likely you're from
I`m not going to whine. I appreciate what we have. I remember not being able to carry concealed at all in Ga. I remember taking a .22 pistol into the Paulding County court house to register it. I was given a "Pistol Toter`s License". Exactly as I said. It had to be open-carried. I appreciate the lawmakers that have gotten us this far. Some of you guys whine like democrats when everything doesn't go to suit you. I still want a carry license, even if we don`t have to have one. I would need it in other states. The writing is on the wall after this election. Ga ain`t always going to be run by Republicans. Enjoy what you have now. At least I`m retired. I can move.[/QU
I`m not going to whine. I appreciate what we have. I remember not being able to carry concealed at all in Ga. I remember taking a .22 pistol into the Paulding County court house to register it. I was given a "Pistol Toter`s License". Exactly as I said. It had to be open-carried. I appreciate the lawmakers that have gotten us this far. Some of you guys whine like democrats when everything doesn't go to suit you. I still want a carry license, even if we don`t have to have one. I would need it in other states. The writing is on the wall after this election. Ga ain`t always going to be run by Republicans. Enjoy what you have now. At least I`m retired. I can move.

ju7zya.jpg

Back in the day, about half the lawyers, and probably 2/3ds the judges carried pistols into the courtroom. And I'm not not talking 1800 something, up until the 90's. Even after screening at the door started, some courthouses let the pistol packing lawyers through. They had something in those briefcases other than their lunch.

Back in the day, about half the lawyers, and probably 2/3ds the judges carried pistols into the courtroom. And I'm not not talking 1800 something, up until the 90's. Even after screening at the door started, some courthouses let the pistol packing lawyers through. They had something in those briefcases other than their lunch.
I know the Dallas municipal Court lets lawyers walk around the metal detector and go straight into the court room with briefcase in hand.

GA does have some of the best gun laws in the US right now. However I'd really like to see us become another Constitutional Carry state.

That being said, we'll be lucky to hold our own the next couple of years. This guy may be a political schmuck, but he's not wrong that the Dems are going to be beating down the doors in 2019 and 2020, and it's better to circle the wagons than try and push something new that simply gets more Dems elected.

Timing is everything. If we can get a GOP President in 2020 then would be the time to go for it. In the short haul, we need to play defense.
I would like to see the whole country have constitutional carry. Then you wouldn`t need a license from your state to travel in another state. I stick by what I said. I appreciate what we have. I`m limited to where I travel because I won`t set foot in a state that won`t allow me to carry concealed. I have family in two such states. They will have funerals without me. Yep, my 14 grandkids and 4 or 5 or 6 great grandkids probably won`t have carry rights, as, they are millennials, probably won`t vote, probably won`t join the NRA, or do anything to uphold the 2nd amendment. Hope I`m wrong. On the other hand, one of them is in AFROTC, wants to hunt, so PawPaw may be wrong. Hope so. I, also have carried illegally in the past. It cost me a fine in NC in 1967. If I lose the right to carry in my lifetime, I will carry anyway. Might pay the price. Might save a life.

If elected officials were honest to the oaths they are sworn to, we would not need Constitutional Carry. The 2nd is our carry permit.

Yup, in all the CC states you have the ability to still have a physical permit, both for avoiding having to do the call-in background check and for reciprocity.

Republicans control the Senate 35-21 and the House 105-75. Most GA republican reps aren't like Florida's from what I have observed over my years of following/emailing/meeting them. We do of course have some rinos, but I don't expect much flipping for gun control out of the important folks.

We've never seen the kind of money Bloomberg will be spreading around in the GA legislature when it comes to gun laws. If he runs all bets are off, and every indication shows that he will be running.

The total spend on the 2016 elections, by all parties at all levels, was $14 billion. That's everything from bribes to campaign buttons for every single candidate at every level.

Michael Bloomberg spent well over $1 billion in his 3rd NYC mayor's campaign alone. He could easily spend what every other candidate from every party in the entire 2016 election spent to get elected President and not even cut his fortune in half. Heck, he wouldn't even be down by a third.

He will be spending hundreds of millions at the state level in places like GA, pushing through his gun control and climate change agenda. We have never, ever seen the gun control groups given that kind of money, and in GA (like most places) money = power. Those ratios may hold in normal times, but if Bloomberg offers $1 million to each legislator, how many will really stand by us?

Not being pessimistic, and hopefully you are right, but if Bloomberg runs we will be facing the single biggest challenge ever faced by firearms owners. Forget NFA. Forget GCA. He has the money, the media and the megalomania to personally bring us Australia-level (or worse) gun control in the next two years.

Back
Top Bottom