• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stop in case help is needed?

If you can find a spot that doesn’t distract, and doesn’t make you look like you might be with the perp than stay and observe. If others cops arrive then depart.
Do not intervene unless the cop is in distress, and then only if you can actually do so without causing more harm than good. Just having a gun doesn’t count. (I don’t know your capabilities so I added this) I did see where a 70 YO grandmother was credited with saving an officers life.

Thank you for at least considering helping, as society crumbles around us, more and more people only consider themselves. I sometimes wonder if this correlates or is just a indication of cowardship...

Yeah, problem with this is you drive off as other police arrive, they may think you're involved and then you'll be sitting a ways down the road held at gunpoint.

Yeah, problem with this is you drive off as other police arrive, they may think you're involved and then you'll be sitting a ways down the road held at gunpoint.
I don’t see how, if you keep your distance like I suggested.
Every cop I ever worked with knew that out our best friends could be a concerned observer.

I don’t see how, if you keep your distance like I suggested.
Every cop I ever worked with knew that out our best friends could be a concerned observer.
I can appreciate that sentiment, but one of my friends who is a police officer once told me that in a sketchy, unknown situation like that, a regular citizen could end up being a bigger liability without having the same training police officers get. Just hope I never come across something where I have to make a quick judgment call on whether to get involved or not — but God give me the strength if I do.

Where is that "don't worry sir, I'm from the internet" meme :)
Lolz for @Necrosis
09BC9CCE-D4FF-407D-B70B-D76CB02348A1.jpeg

I think about this kind of stuff all the time. For instance. I go into a store where there is a police presence, for whatever reason. Maybe he's buying groceries or patrolling...doesn't matter. So some guy tries to rob me on aisle seven, pulls a Jimenez .25ACP out and says "gimme all you got." Right? So I pull out my Glock 641 stippled mega Yeager'ed up Magpul blaster, drive it forward, get off the X, and execute a perfect failure to stop drill and suppress the threat. Right? But the cop, on aisle eight, only hears three rounds fired, comes around the corner and sees me over a dead guy with a gun in my hand. What's to say I don't get popped by the cop?

Years ago, I "helped" an APD officer at Music Midtown. After it was all over, he told me that "next time" he could handle it and reminded me that "civilians" didn't need to get involved in "police business." Fast forward to two weeks ago, a local PD officer (whom I know personally: full disclosure) had some folks out of the car on the ground and he was pretty outnumbered but appeared to have the situation in hand...but I pulled into the median and waited for a bit. He sees me and jerks his head, as in, get out of here. About an hour later I get a text. Thanks for stopping, but I was good.

So, I guess...like all things...it depends.

But yeah, I think about that a lot.

Also, I-16 sucks.

Back
Top Bottom