• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tactics needed for securing my church

Jake, here's a word of caution about a security plan for a church, or any institution really.

If you say that we should do something in the plan, you are pretty much creating an obligation to do it that way. Which means if you fail to react in an emergency the way the plan says you should act, you could be sued and more easily found liable.
So then, what your plan calls for must be realistic not only within your budget limits but it also has to have the kinds of procedures that people can and will actually follow. There is a huge difference between
(1) reading something well enough to look up from the book and say "yeah I just read that, and I understand it."
and
(2) reading something with the level of understanding sufficient to remember it and apply it months later, suddenly, in an emergency.

Naturally "training" is important in teaching people the security plan and having them remember it. A long training session when you first get your security plan finalized, and then annual ongoing training (or in-service training).

But on the front end, consider that a feature of a good security plan is keeping it short and simple so that it is more easily remembered and the steps more easily carried out.

Because the KISS principle.

I when I saw the thread I was going to recommend reaching out to cmshoot cmshoot . However some he has read and replied I will take the opportunity to say that my trying with him has been exceptionally well done. I’m retired military and have taken other training. He is highly experienced and knows his business. I highly recommend him and his training programs.

Thanks!

A couple of years ago our church went through this. At the time I was on the board of trustees as well as helping with the security operation of it. We have three services and usually have 600-800 people attend on Sundays. I will tell you it was an eye opening experience. We had some local LEO’s out it to take a look. We had some training etc. What we found was that there were a whole lot of legal issues and liabilities depending on how things are structured.
I’ll be happy to share with you the things I learned.

The Georgia Baptist Mission Board recently hired a church security guy, Ben O'Neal. Not as a consultant, but I think a full-time staff member. He has, or used to have, a security consulting company. Maybe he's still involved in that somehow? Anyhow, he seems really well-qualified. Recently retired Army Major. He has decades of experience in the Military Police, and then he was head of facilities security or something like that. Keeping our troops safe from terrorists and bombers and gunman when they're NOT out on a combat mission. And keeping our bases safe from thefts, vandalism, espionage, and such lesser threats. Any church that is a member in good standing of the Ga Baptist Association or Mission Board can get an appointment to have him come by.

A couple of years ago our church went through this. At the time I was on the board of trustees as well as helping with the security operation of it. We have three services and usually have 600-800 people attend on Sundays. I will tell you it was an eye opening experience. We had some local LEO’s out it to take a look. We had some training etc. What we found was that there were a whole lot of legal issues and liabilities depending on how things are structured.
I’ll be happy to share with you the things I learned.
Absolutely. Let's talk in PM. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom