• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is what happens when you don't use cheap oil

If you changed the oil every 3000 miles,
then you've done 100 oil changes on it so far.

If you paid $65 for a Mobil 1 oil change each time,
and I only paid $20, that means you paid $4,500 more than me in oil changes.
Could I have a rebuilt (crate) engine put in for $4,500 bucks and then the engine would be "new"??

Could I have a rebuilt (crate) engine put in for $4,500 bucks and then the engine would be "new"??

Oil was changed every 10k miles. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 10w30 is $23 at Walmart. I have always done it myself. It's really easy on this car, you don't even have to jack it up.

I've run 2 trucks to over 300,000 miles on Castrol 10W-30. Regular changes of oil between 3 and 5,000 miles, Wix filter,

I have two master mechanics, and they both swear that if you are not using synthetic before 100,000 miles, you should stay with conventional.

I used to wait on the sales flyers for when Castrol was on sale for 89cents a quart, buy 2 or 3 cases at a time. Guess those days are gone.

*******!

That is baller!!

Redneck level: Expert

20181005_181955.jpg

365,482 on Toyota Sequoia had 2 on it when I bought it. Oil changed with havoline 20/50 every 3000 miles. Going for 1,000,000.

My dad thought me oil is you engines life line doesn’t really matter what brand just new oil and filter.

Cooter69

Synthetic oils are thinner than conventional oil.....same viscosity, thinner.

That may be the reason some older engines may develop a leak when switched to synthetic, after using conventional.

Something else people tend to ignore is the PVC valve on engines. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation system is designed to allow an engine to breath. If the valve gets stopped up, it pushes oil out the weakest point. That is usually a gasket that is old and brittle.
Bottom line is change that PCV valve at recommended intervals for the vehicle you are driving for you guys(and gals) that DYI on tunes, etc., it will save you some headache down the road from developing leaks. :)

This PSA brought to you by ASE certified automotive master tech - 41mag:becky:

Back
Top Bottom