• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is what happens when you don't use cheap oil

I have never in my life heard of anyone only changing the oil filter every other change. Always every change.

Used to be common practice, people trying to save a few bucks. I never did it.

"Back in the day" you could be re-cycled oil, basically oil from oil changes that was run through a super filter, put back in the can, back on the shelf. Haven't seen it in years, don't even know if such is still around.

Used to be common practice, people trying to save a few bucks. I never did it.

"Back in the day" you could be re-cycled oil, basically oil from oil changes that was run through a super filter, put back in the can, back on the shelf. Haven't seen it in years, don't even know if such is still around.
Back when i was in my teens an old country store near our home sold some reprocessed oil by the name of piston ease, not sure if you can still buy it.

In fact, I've known people who would never change their oil, just top it off when it got a quart low. Some of them would have incredibly high mileage engines.

Reminds me of friend from school.....

I asked him how often he changed oil, he said "I don't. Burns a quart every 500 miles, so it changes itself."

Pretty hard to argue with that logic. :)

Back when i was in my teens an old country store near our home sold some reprocessed oil by the name of piston ease, not sure if you can still buy it.

Reprocessed oil will ease that piston right out your block.

(The big problem with reprocessed oil is you never know what the hell went in that tank. Various weights, all kinds of stuff that wasn't engine oil....)

I wouldn't trust the stuff.

Mercedes cars have an oil change interval of 1yr or 13K miles, recommended oil is Mobil1.
To clarify, the 13k interval is for the 0w-40 euro formula. Unfortunately, a lot of dealers will use mobil1 5w-40 because they get it cheaper. There are significant chemical differences.

My ML350 has 190k and purrs like a kitten, but I cut the oil change intervals down to 8k.

Also, make sure the filter is fiber and not paper. Mann is the normal go to and is a quality filter, but I've had issues with their housing o rings weeping. The Mobil1 filters are also fiber and have a bit beefier o ring included. As a bonus, the Mobil1 filters are often on sale at advance Auto parts, when ourchased with a jug of Mobil1 oil.

My brother's van just had the cheap-o oil filter blow the rubber o-ring out, some 2 weeks and only a few hundred miles after a quicky-lube oil change place did an oil and filter change for him. It dumped out all the engine's oil in seconds.
He didn't pull over soon enough after the engine light came on (he went maybe another mile), and it damaged the engine internally. Had a bad knock after that.
But the oil change place stood behind the product they used and, seeing it was the filter's failure that caused this problem, they ordered a rebuilt engine and installed it, at no charge.

Wow!

Miracles can happen!!

I have a friend who has (not just one but 2) MB Bs, and those damned things are horrible. I've tried to help him here and there, but he doesn't live close anymore. Doesn't help that he's not mechanically inclined.

My issue with those cars is their design. The carbs, for example. It's like someone over in Britain said "chaps, we all know that a carb just mixes air and fuel. It's dead-bang simple. Let us endeavour design a device which does that stuff (poorly) and does it in the most bass-ackward way possible."

Brits are definitely not known for good engineering.

SU carburetors are actually very efficient and deliver a great power band across the entire RPM range. Most mechanics aren't used to a variable venturi design though. There are also two of them which makes synchronizing them a little tricky.

The MGA was way ahead of its time in many ways. Disc brakes, a hydraulic clutch, some of them even came with dual overhead cams. It handles great and is very nimble. However it isn't exactly fast by today's standards. My van would easily beat it in a drag race

My brother's van just had the cheap-o oil filter blow the rubber o-ring out, some 2 weeks and only a few hundred miles after a quicky-lube oil change place did an oil and filter change for him. It dumped out all the engine's oil in seconds.
He didn't pull over soon enough after the engine light came on (he went maybe another mile), and it damaged the engine internally. Had a bad knock after that.
But the oil change place stood behind the product they used and, seeing it was the filter's failure that caused this problem, they ordered a rebuilt engine and installed it, at no charge.

I guess Fram is still OK, but I have started going with K&N on cars I care about.

The weight of the filter is much higher. I haven't cut either one open, but I think the K&N filter stuff must be a lot more legit.

Back
Top Bottom