• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Those of you with suppressors...

Was your suppressor worth it?

• hell yeah!

• I guess

• nope

• I was told there would be cake...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I guess what I meant by multi cal. was I'd probably get one in .45 to use down to .22. Not so interested in shooting any of my rifles suppressed, although maybe that will change like you say!
As other have said, the multi-cal route leaves you usually with a can that suppresses one caliber pretty well and the others - not so much.

22 is worth having its own can - as others have also said - 22LR ammo is dirty as hell so you need a can that you can take apart and clean yourself.

Aside from that, I know people that bought a can like an Obsidian 45, and that seemed to suppress 9mm pretty well. Remember, the native muzzle velocity of the 45 is way down at or below the speed of sound already and subsonic ammo options for 9mm are everywhere.

As I joked upthread, when you go for the beefier calibers like 10mm, all a can will do there is reduce muzzle signature, unless you can find a cheap supply of subsonic ammo for them, and I've no idea why anyone might want to down-shift a 180- or 200-gr round down to below 1000 ft/sec.

Don't discount a can on your rifles either. Particularly shooting suppressed 22LR - it's just about the most fun you can have and still have your clothes on with a host like a Ruger 10/22 or some other l'il rifle.

Um you got to fill out a form for a permanent move out of state for ALL NFA items.
might really suck if you are apartment renting
I just saw this and I think it is newish.

NOTE: MOVING WITHIN YOUR STATE

ATF has recently updated their forms and now requires notification when you move within a state for any NFA Firearm. This can be done using the 5320.20 form which is described on this page. While the document states that it is not necessary when moving across state lines for a suppressor, it is now required by the instructions on the Form 4. Regardless of how you feel, we would recommend that you complete a Form 20 for any move even if across the street.

The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor. While the prior authorization from the ATF is not required, we do still recommend obtaining an approved Form 20 from the ATF for Suppressors before crossing state lines. We feel that it is better to have a document from the federal government stating it is legal to be in possession of the item in another state than is listed on your Form 4 or Form 1 which was used to acquire the item.

Title 18 U.S.C. While the ATF use to accept a letter, ATF stopped accepting letters and is requiring this form to be filled out and it needs to be submitted in duplicate.

Anytime you move or want to take NFA firearms across state lines Two copies of the Form 20 should be completed and sent to the following address by mail, fax or email:

I just saw this and I think it is newish.

NOTE: MOVING WITHIN YOUR STATE
This is new. When I moved in state under the old statement not the new posted here, I didn't send in the 5320.20 forms until 6 months later so they don't appear to be paying much attention. I do have items that require notification. There is more fineprint on items like machineguns.

Also - IMHO, pistol cans on pistols get boring fast other than 22LR. I won't shoot a rifle except for ARs without a suppressor anymore. Get a good interchange system such as ASR or Keymo and stay with stuff that uses a standard or just direct thread.

22LR cans are like potato chips. You can't have just one.

I’ve got so advanced hearing loss and cannot even shoot 22lr without protection.
I’ve bought a Dead Air Mask for my 22lr blinking and enjoy it very much. it is fun, cheap and doesn’t annoy the neighbors.

Ive got a SilencerCo Omega that I shoot 300blk through. Mostly beavers an armadillos. Again it doesn’t get the attention of the neighbors here around the lake and my ears can tolerate them both.
I still wear portion if I’m planing on shooting more than a few rounds.

I don’t use them for much more. Not much of an operator these days.

I'm thinking of entering the suppressor world. Was it worth it for you? I am for sure buying a handgun in 10mm soon, what I can't decide is if I should get something moderately priced with a threaded barrel and then buy a multi cal. suppressor to use with other handguns down the road... or skip the suppressor and just buy a more expensive gun. What's the move?
A couple things: subsonic vs supersonic, and caliber specific vs using an oversize can for smaller calibers.

subsonic vs supersonic: I have a 22 Dead Air Mask. I haven’t bought subsonic ammo. When I shoot it the bullet makes noise when the bullet goes supersonic. Yes it sounds like a cap gun. Anything that breaks the sound barrier makes a noise (like a bullwhip). To effectively remove the sound of breaking the sound barrier you have to keep the bullet speed subsonic.

Oversize cans: subsonic .45 ammo will do a great job through a .45 can. If you use the same can on your 9mm, are you using subsonic or supersonic? Even using subsonic ammo it will not knock down as much of the noise compared to a dedicated 9mm can, but will reduce the overall noise level.

Like the 357 case is a longer 38spl. The 10mm is a longer 40 cal. If you slap a 45 can on your 10mm you will absolutely have both issues. Will it be fun? YES!

22 integral is stupid quiet. Mine keeps bulk ammo subsonic. 22lr, 30 cal, 45a p will over most of what most people shoot. Just remember you can go smaller; but not larger projectiles. Pressure comes into play from pistol to rifle.

One last point - testing the waters with a relatively inexpensive 22 can will give you some idea of whether the cost and upkeep of a can is worth your time. The cost of upgrading existing guns to have threaded barrels starts to add up fast, and 22 typically is a standard thread with no QD mounts or anything complicated.

You might find that after the initial fun, it's just another accessory to you.

If all you did was blow a $300+$200 for the tax stamp, you're in better shape than if you're me, the guy who has sunk more money than I want to calculate - into the cans, the tax stamps, the barrel threading/new barrels and the muzzle devices with pinning.

If you do go the 22 route though, I wouldn't "cheap out". There's lots of advice here, but the Dead Air Mask HD is one model that's hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom