• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Those of you with suppressors...

Was your suppressor worth it?

• hell yeah!

• I guess

• nope

• I was told there would be cake...

Results are only viewable after voting.
IMO a first can should almost always be a 22 rimfire can. They are cheaper, and by far the most versatile suppressors out there.

After that it would be a toss-up.

If you hunt, then a rifle suppressor in the caliber you use (or want to use) should probably be the next purchase.

If you don't hunt, a good 9mm can would be my choice. It's an easy caliber to suppress well and is pretty cost effective to shoot. You could substitute 45ACP for 9mm if you don't mind the extra cost and that's your favorite.

The key is to first get cans for things you shoot a lot. Then, once you decide to go down the rabbit hole, you can start getting into some of the other stuff out there.

I have 4 9mm cans. one for each of my 9mm SBRs and a r9 that can go on 223 or 308 guns with a 16" or longer barrel. 2 30 cal cans...a trash panda and a resonator k. both suppress 556 decently. also have a rimfire can(el camino). next can will be another 30 cal or 556 dedicated can...and ATLEAST one more rimfire can...prolly a mask or the modular Q can..
How do you like the r9?

Rifle and major caliber pistols are better suppressed versus nothing, but if you can only choose one silencer, I’d recommend a .22 as they are movie quiet. Also, I strongly suggest researching to make sure you don’t buy one with noticeable FRP (first round pop) which sounds distinctly like a gunshot and the rest sound suppressed. A top rated .22 suppressor will sound Hollywood quiet.

The SWR/Silencerco Spectre2 (out of production) is among the best being 100% stainless and ultra quiet. The guy that created that (Henry) started his own company and his entry is the Rugged Oculus. The Dead Air Mask is also known to not have FRP.

Avoid the Silencerco Sparrow. It has FRP like crazy.

This was the selection at my local dealer (Bullseye in Lawrenceville) March 31st when I got to collect my Q ThunderChicken.

IMG_8430.jpeg

IMG_8431.jpeg

Best thing to do is do like I did and buy 4 of them for your first time ever buying.
But if I had to do it again I would buy my rugged alaskan 360 first as it can be used for many guns up to 338 lapua

Best thing to do is do like I did and buy 4 of them for your first time ever buying.
But if I had to do it again I would buy my rugged alaskan 360 first as it can be used for many guns up to 338 lapua
I have gotten to the point of buying weapons for my suppressors. have fun. quieter is more funner. or something vaguely English. /s (I can spell and do grammer....)_sigh...

Yes. You won't stop at just one. They will save your hearing even though none of them are "hearing safe". Don't skimp out because a suppressor is yours for life unless you want to dump it cheap cheap. Consider mounting options and all your current and potential hosts. You won't stick with direct thread long, so having a suppressor with interchangeable mounts is a plus and will save you money having have them converted. Don't jump on the newest and greatest thing, warranty work sucks. Good luck.

I have both an Oculus and a Mask. Both are great 22LR cans. The Oculus in short config on a Beretta 21a is a ton of fun and scary quiet. Go to full size or switch to the Mask and the only you hear is the action and a round hitting a steel plate. The short config of the Oculus is great on rifles as well.

Back
Top Bottom