• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Time to get my fat arse back in gear....again

The advice I got was to exercise and lower my body weight. The thought being that I am getting older and to get myself into the shape I will need to be in when I get older and am retired.

I don't know how old you are but typically males retire with a can of beer in one hand and a tv remote in the other, and are dead within 18 months. The muscles you are building are great when you are young, but getting bigger just means more to haul around when you assume a sedentary lifestyle.

There is nothing wrong with getting in shape. Flexibility and a good low fat percentile is a great idea.

VZM.IMG_20160304_121056.jpg

The strength training sounds great. By all means , do it. But, if weight loss is your primary goal, your diet is where it's at. I know. I dropped 40 pounds in 6 months, and have kept it off for over 18 months now. I'm 47 and don't lift nearly as often as I should, but I do have the weight under control. PM me if you want some more info. Not rocket science,just gotta suck it up and do it.

Yeah I went from 242 to 180 in 6 months a couple of years ago. And it was all diet and walking 3-5 miles a day. But I would like to look a bit more muscular also. So, weight loss is only 2/3 rds of the goal. I want to weigh 180 and carry a bit of the V. Maybe not Arnold (lol), but not look sickly at the beach.

And to be honest, I'm kind of hoping to be diagnosed with something fatal with 3-6 months to live. I'm planning to eat myself into the ground before the illness can put me there. ;)

Well, day one -

Did workout. Hit the chest and shoulders as planned. Not a GREAT workout. Spent an hour and 15 minutes in the dungeon but was trying out motions and adjusting weight for probably half that. Finally got it initially dialed in at:

Incline dumbell bench - 35 lbs
Flat dumbell bench - 35 lbs
Decline dumbell bench 35 lbs
Chest Flies - 20 lbs
Bent shoulder rows - 20 lbs
Tricep extensions - 20 lbs

Three sets of 6-8 reps. Initial sets were too easy and went up to 45 lbs but by the second set of the flat bench I started tapering off so to complete the day I stepped it down to 35 lbs on chest. After that, I got through my 6-8 reps in all sets. And I started out with 10 lb shoulder flies but wasn't feeling the concentration on the posterior deltoids like I wanted, so I shifted to a bent shoulder row and got better concentration. But then the weight wasn't enough so bumped it to 20lbs. By the time I got to the tricep extensions I was feeling the bUrn. Heh, heh. Hopefully Thursday will be more coherent. Although, even though it wan't an amazing workout, I think my titties are going to fall off tomorrow or yhte enxt day. LOL.

Oh yeah, only got a mile in on the road this morning. Ran into a couple of friends and got sidetracked.

Came home and had a double protien shake and a can of tuna. 300 calories and <3 grams of fat.

Without mentioning any names....

So this older fella at the gun club came in first in a running and gunning pistol competition.
He shoots everything (rifles/pistols and shotguns) very well.

I noticed he came in first, he didn't know, so I told him and then said when I grow up I want to be you.
We both had a good laugh at that since I'm 60 already, he's 15 years older and said I had a long way to go.

So the next day when I saw him I asked him what was his tactic for eternal youth.
He said, well every morning I get up and jog, I don't jog very fast and I don't jog very far, I jog just enough to wake my body up. Then I lift some weight downstairs, I don't lift anything very heavy or many times, I just try to stretch everything out.

Then I eat breakfast and go to the range! :becky:

He is fit as can be and 75!

Back
Top Bottom