• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Time to get my fat arse back in gear....again

Well, I spent the better part of 50 years committing suicide by fork. So, I wasn't too surprised when I had the heart attack last year. Kinda pissed me off though. I've ridden the rollercoaster a time or two between my all time high of 260 and my all time adult low of 180 and was at 23 when I had the heart attack. I got back down to 195 before slacking again and am now at 220. Yeah, I know. Dammit. This is it(never said THAT before. LOL), however. I've been half assing and making excuses long enough. I KNOW I can lose weight and I KNOW I can get in shape...hell I've done it. So. If I have to put tuna on the endangered species list and take 5 showers a day I WILL sweat the fat guy out of my clothes.

Been there and done it several times myself. Maintaining it is the hardest part.

You still have to remember which muscles are biggest and which are smallest. If you want to get in shape, lose weight, tone up, whatever you want to call it, it's about calorie expenditure. Your large muscle groups burn the most and your smaller ones burn less. So concentrating your efforts on the larger groups (that move the most weight and use the most secondary muscle groups) will burn more calories. An over head press works the front delt and some tricep. That's nothing compared to a flat bench dumbbell press that works your pecs, front delt, and tricep. That's more bang for buck thus getting you results faster. Besides, shoulder stability is very important in training the chest.

Actually, I think I need to drop the military press altogether. As you mentioned earlier, my anterior deltoids are not my real problem. My medials are small and my posterior deltoids are non-existent. I think I need to swap the military press for a shoulder fly. Maybe like this:

tattoo-shoulder-realistic-fly.jpg

LOL.

Interval training like that will burn more calories than steady state cardio so keep doing it. All you need if you are doing it effectively is about 20 minutes. Now with all that, if your nutrition sucks then none of this means anything. You can't out exercise a poor diet.

Yeah, when I lost all the weight I was targeting 1300 calories a day. Then I started walking/jogging and then lifting. Then I started eating as a reward for progressing. I'm sure you can guess where THAT led.

My equipment is a Bowflex and free weights. I have a full bar but never use is. For bench I use either the Bowflex of the dumbells. I have a paranoia about being that guy who drops a bar on his neck and no one to get it off him.

Oh! I need to work in some flat bench flies too. NOTHING like butterflies to rip the chest.

I am right there with you except for the heart attack. I have lost 24 pounds this year but have been plateaued for the last 6 weeks. Need to get the needle on the scale moving again. 35-40 lbs more to go.
Remember...plateaued just means you ain't GAINING. ;)

Actually, I think I need to drop the military press altogether. As you mentioned earlier, my anterior deltoids are not my real problem. My medials are small and my posterior deltoids are non-existent. I think I need to swap the military press for a shoulder fly. Maybe like this:

View attachment 1205979

LOL.

Yeah, when I lost all the weight I was targeting 1300 calories a day. Then I started walking/jogging and then lifting. Then I started eating as a reward for progressing. I'm sure you can guess where THAT led.

My equipment is a Bowflex and free weights. I have a full bar but never use is. For bench I use either the Bowflex of the dumbells. I have a paranoia about being that guy who drops a bar on his neck and no one to get it off him.

Oh! I need to work in some flat bench flies too. NOTHING like butterflies to rip the chest.

Careful with the flies. You can **** up a shoulder and a pec with them. I stopped doing them all together and my shoulders feel great.

Jeff knows his ****. I'm been following him on youtube. He is a no bull**** straight forward guy.

Any lift where the range of motion is forward of my ears is no sweat. My upper pecs from lower to upper are strong. The anterior deltoids have plenty of strength too. But my range of motion from vertical back is pathetic. Both in range and strength. My neck muscles are god as well, I can shrug a VW(ok well a bug any way...a small one...more like an ant maybe. ;) ) But if I sit verticallyy or leaned forward, I can hardly run my arms through a dumbell press from behind the ears at all. I think I need to work with a bent shoulder fly.

My oldest son is doing a bodybuilding competition in July. He wrote my workout schedule as I work 24 on and 48 off. One day all upper body, one day core and lower body ,next day rest at work. Still trying to adapt to the high protein low car diet but end up cheating a bit at the station. Biggest challenge is staying consistent but last two months that I have been consistent have been good. At 55 I doubt I will ever compete but I am stronger now than I have ever been. It's all habit with me. If I miss a workout I feel guilty cause I have been keeping a regular workout schedule for the last 14 months. Key is staying after it. Pics are of him, not me....lol

Attachments

• received_783217998518913.jpeg
    received_783217998518913.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 25
  • FB_IMG_1492793842746.jpg
    FB_IMG_1492793842746.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom