• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Training Before Obtaining Carry Permit?

Should you be required to take a class on logic and diction before the government allows you to exercise your first amendment rights?

Considering the stupid, ignorant, unintelligable crap that comes out of some people's mouths and fingers.... no, but there ought to be.

I am torn... on the one hand, no "the right shall not be infringed..." on the other hand, there is a whole lot of dumb ass in the world today that would at least not have as much excuse for dumbassedry if at least had a familiarization with firearms.

And on the gripping hand... as someone who has had firearms his whole life, and to whom they were tools of the trade, I would find it very annoying to have to take a "this is the trigger... this is the barrel" firearms 101 course, or even submit a copy of my DA 201 to avoid it.

so... tacos! Topics like this make me glad I already got my WCL and so will hopefully get grandfathered around the stupid **** that is coming down the hill.

I would like to see a class on the constitution before someone is allowed to vote.

Poll taxes and literacy tests to exercise your right to vote. And Voter ID cards too. These are all "horrible" but requiring a Second Amendment ID, background check, and taxes on ammunition (that "fund wildlife") are acceptable.

Well you do have to take a hunters safety course to purchase a hunting license

That was somewhat changed recently. A course is still required but now internet courses can be used or something to that effect, but I agree. I've always purchased the three-day passes to bypass the safety course. Not that I can't take the safety course; it's just general principle. My ancestors didn't take no damn safety course and those people lived off the land without a supermarket in sight, so why can't I?

Government shouldn't be your nanny, and if people lack the common sense needed to function, a course provided by some bureaucrat isn't going to change anything.

BTW: On the same note.

State Rep. Alan Powell, R-Hartwell, the chairman of the Public Safety Committee, said it’s “pretty much impossible” that Waites’ bill advances. Even so, Powell said, he thinks the idea has some merit.

“I didn’t really have a problem with it, just me personally, with doing some sort of minimum training course, just to show you have a certain level of proficiency,” Powell said.

I lived in the Hartwell area for many years and Representative Powell was a Democrat until after the 2010 election. He ran as a Democrat, won unopposed, and then switched parties within days of the election. I'm not the least bit surprised he's support such a law change, and if I still lived up there I'd probably run against him next year out of spite.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/110910/new_733113589.shtml

Back
Top Bottom