• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Traveling north, leave the gun home?

Well glad I didn't get stopped.

I bought a few hundred rounds of 9mm while I was on the road (truck driver) and went through NJ, NY and CT before I got home. Guess I coulda had a bad day.

Didn't know there was mayor penalties for simply having a little ammo

When I had my brain aneurysm a few years back I had driven to Boston. I planned on taking my Glock with me and just figured if they discovered I had it, it was because I needed it so to hell with it. I drove from Georgia to New Mexico to pick up my work truck. In New Mexico I stopped in and visited my dad. Even though he feels the same way I do, for some reason he begged me to leave my Glock there and not take it to Boston. I hated the thought of driving across the country unarmed, but he felt so strongly about it I left it behind with him.

Two weeks later I collapsed in a parking lot and was rushed to Mass General hospital where I underwent multiple brain surgeries to save my life. Had I taken my Glock I would have been wearing it that night IWB and I to this day would still be sitting in a Massachusetts jail. As it was, I mentioned my gun to the EMTs and there was quite a bit of interest from local law enforcement until my wife got up there and confirmed I was just crazy, and that I didn't really have a gun.

After that incident, there is no way I would chance it now. Something so stupid could have completely ruined my life and I had zero control over it outside of just not taking the gun where it wasn't welcome.

Do Not Take a gun into New Jersey!

Even driving through that state under the 'protection' of the FOPA laws can be iffy. If you stop for any reason you are subject to their gun laws, and if caught you will definitely be spending jail time there.

I would even double-check on things like pepper spray or knives. I know in MA it's illegal to carry pepper spray without a license.

Also, clean out your car. Make sure there is no ammo, or even empty brass anywhere in the vehicle. Ammunition and 'components' are also highly illegal in some of these states if you don't have a license.

There is a guy in DC who was recently jailed for an empty shotgun shell, and I remember a case in MA, probably 20 years back where a cop found a single round of 22LR in the trunk of a car, and the owner went to max-security prison for 5 years... no parole, no discretion.

It sucks that we have to worry about these kinds of things and luckily it's only a few states, but as a gun owner you are traveling into the belly of the beast.

Last edited:
Do Not Take a gun into New Jersey! Even driving through that state under the 'protection' of the FOPA laws can be iffy. If you stop for any reason you are subject to their gun laws, and if caught you will definitely be spending jail time there. I would even double-check on things like pepper spray or knives. I know in MA it's illegal to carry pepper spray without a license.Also, clean out your car. Make sure there is no ammo, or even empty brass anywhere in the vehicle. Ammunition and 'components' are also highly illegal in some of these states if you don't have a license. There is a guy in DC who was recently jailed for an empty shotgun shell, and I remember a case in MA, probably 20 years back where a cop found a single round of 22LR in the trunk of a car, and the owner went to max-security prison for 5 years... no parole, no discretion. It sucks that we have to worry about these kinds of things and luckily it's only a few states, but as a gun owner you are traveling into the belly of the beast.
Reason I don't go North of Virginia on the East Coast.

Many portions of the Constitution as well as other laws that time has eroded into meanless phrases:

"shall not be infringed" ... "equal protection under the law" ... "Title VII prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin" ...

When traveling from Georgia to Pennsylvania I looked up all the gun laws for every state I was passing through.
I also called each state police number and talked to each of them about the laws to see if they matched the information provided.

Some of them did not even know and had to pass the phone to three different people before I got their official answer.

It is scary how many officers patrol the highways without even knowing the laws in their own state concerning citizens rights.

One thing is true is that criminals don't care, nor do they obey the laws on the books so if I'm traveling through a state where I can't carry concealed! have to have my pistol separated from the ammo Iknow for a fact that I'm a sitting duck if some criminal sticks a gun in face demanding my wallet, my wife's purse and my kids pocket change.

This stems from a result of politicians living in their ivory towers for so long that they don't have any clue, nor do they care what the average citizen has to go through on a daily basis as long as they get their high security, limo drivers, jet planes, great healthcare, private security and all the fringe benefits and votes that ill informed people give to them year round.

I'd like to start a new program called "Politicians on the street."

Let them swap lives with the average joe living in some of the most dangerous cities for which they represent and make laws for for a few months with no legal means to protect themselves or any of the other comforts the tax payers afford them and then see just how good they feel when some thug rolls them while they're walking to their car in the dark after a ball game or what not.

It doesent necessarily have to be one of the most dangerous cities.
It could be a road rage incident just driving down the highway in any given place on any given day.

These politicians are clueless and need a large dose of reality.

Last edited:
When traveling from Georgia to Pennsylvania I looked up all the gun laws for every state I was passing through.
I also called each state police number and talked to each of them about the laws to see if they matched the information provided.

Some of them did not even know and had to pass the phone to three different people before I got their official answer.

It is scary how many officers patrol the highways without even knowing the laws in their own state concerning citizens rights.

One thing is true is that criminals don't care, nor do they obey the laws on the books so if I'm traveling through a state where I can't carry concealed! have to have my pistol separated from the ammo Iknow for a fact that I'm a sitting duck if some criminal sticks a gun in face demanding my wallet, my wife's purse and my kids pocket change.

This stems from a result of politicians living in their ivory towers for so long that they don't have any clue, nor do they care what the average citizen has to go through on a daily basis as long as they get their high security, limo drivers, met planes, great healthcare, private security and all the fringe benefits and votes that ill informed people give to them year round.

I'd like to start a new program called "Politicians on the street."

Let them swap lives with the average joe living in some of the most dangerous cities for a few months with no legal means to protect themselves or any of the other comforts the tax payers afford them and then see just how good they feel when some thug rolls them while they're walking to their car in the dark after a ball game or what not.

It doesent necessarily have to be one of the most,dangerous cities.
It could be a road rage incident just driving down the highway in any given place on a my given day.

These politicians are clueless.

It should have to be the most dangerous city in the region they represent. Since they are supposed to represent the people, they should have to live where in the worst area of which they represent. Good luck to those in Chicago and Newark.

Back
Top Bottom