• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tree Removal, is this a thing?

I have a huge Red Oak I need removed. It is too close to the house. Have another one which has already fallen in the last month or so. Being cheap and the fact paying for this removal would cut into my gun buying money. Is or are there any of the firewood suppliers (who are insured) who would remove the tree in exchange for the wood?
The thought makes sense to me. But then a lot of things that do, garner strange looks from others.
Just burn them.

I think most tree removal companies give away firewood logs. They will deliver them and dump them wherever you want.
I have never heard of any cutting a tree for free just to get the wood.
Now i have heard of pulpwood companies cutting pine trees for free.....but you have to have alot of them and they need to be accessible. Most of the time they will pay you.

Tree companies wont do it free. Probably wont do it for less than $1k depending on all the variables. What you need is an individual who does it on the side. Ask around. They’re out there. He can at least drop the tree for you and then leave you to worry about the cleanup. Had a guy drop a monster oak 38” base for $400. That included climbing and topping out before dropping. It was roughly 50 ft from the house.
After the uninsured tree guy drops that big oak tree call a good roofer to get it off your roof and replace your roof.It will only cost 8 or 9 x's what it would have cost to hire an insured tree guy.

After the uninsured tree guy drops that big oak tree call a good roofer to get it off your roof and replace your roof.It will only cost 8 or 9 x's what it would have cost to hire an insured tree guy.
Well I guess if you prefer an uninsured guy then ya knock yourself out? :noidea:

Yeah, this isn't going to happen. You're going to pay to have them remove it and then they may sell it for firewood, but I'd bet they just chip what they can fit in their shredder and be done with it. I'd also bet with this warm winter, they are loaded up with firewood right now.

I've tried to pull this off for years, and it's an absolute no go. The cutters know that you need the tree removed more than they need firewood.

I had some prime 30 year old pine trees removed. Tried to make the deal just for the pulpwood. Couldn't find a cutter to do it. Everyone telling me the trees weren't worth anything.

Finally hired a crew, they sold all the timber for saw timber, had the truck pull up in my yard, and I talked to the driver.

One local company high grades the hardwood for woodworkers, specialty lumber.

Bottom line is if the wood has any value, they are going to figure it into the price, and never tell you.

Stepdaughter called pulpwooders years ago to take down a bunch of pines on mils property and said they would only take a couple at a time. Came home and they took everything at once leaving me with a huge mess to clean up, not to mention driveway damage and leaving a huge log they couldn't move. Had to hire a man with a tractor and a bunch of guys and rent dumpsters.

Back
Top Bottom