• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unknowingly traded a stolen firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, you are absolutely correct
whoever posses it at the time stolen is determined is the charged unloess they were having the serial number ran at a local LEO office on their own accord, then they are not guilty since they have to hand it over to the LEO to get the number ran per current procedures.

Complete B.S.

PROBABLE CAUSE to arrest and then obtain the arrest warrant WILL REQUIRE that the ARRESTING OFFICER and MAGISTRATE JUDGE to REASONABLY BELIEVE that the PERSON WHO CURRENTLY POSSESS THE STOLEN ITEM received, disposed of, or retained the stolen property AND he KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS STOLEN. Mere possession is not enough to lawfully arrest the possesser.

Telling truth might get you off stealing it, but still have the "posession of a stolen firearm" charge to fall on. A simple screen shot of the dealing or the highly hated bos might help but not the popular odt butt cover. Did u by chance have a witness or able to describe the seller or vehicle or if met at a convenience or other store with cameras they might be your saving grace if video is kept long enough and they are willing to give it up, (it'd be worth $ to you to get)pm me for more tips i'll get trashed here if i give away any more known facts.

NO CODE SECTION IN THE O.C.G.A. EXSIST FOR "posession of a stolen firearm"

The code section that would apply here is:

O.C.G.A. 16-8-7 : Theft by receiving stolen property

(a) A person commits the offense of theft by receiving stolen property when he receives, disposes of, or retains stolen property which he knows or should know was stolen unless the property is received, disposed of, or retained with intent to restore it to the owner. "Receiving" means acquiring possession or control or lending on the security of the property.

(b) In any prosecution under this Code section it shall not be necessary to show a conviction of the principal thief.

Current procedures? Please provide these 'current procedures'. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

I don't think you misunderstood. I think you are just much more polite than I am when the needle on your B.S. Meter goes full right.

Last edited:
Complete B.S.

Probable Cause to arrest and then obtain the arrest warrant WILL REQUIRE that the Arresting Officer and the Magistrate Judge to REASONABLY BELIEVE that the PERSON WHO CURRENTLY POSSESS THE STOLEN ITEM received, disposed of, or retained the stolen property AND he KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS STOLEN. Mere possession is not enough to lawfully arrest the possesser.

NO CODE SECTION IN THE O.C.G.A. EXSIST FOR "posession of a stolen firearm"

The code section that would apply here is:

O.C.G.A. 16-8-7 : Theft by receiving stolen property

(a) A person commits the offense of theft by receiving stolen property when he receives, disposes of, or retains stolen property which he knows or should know was stolen unless the property is received, disposed of, or retained with intent to restore it to the owner. "Receiving" means acquiring possession or control or lending on the security of the property.

(b) In any prosecution under this Code section it shall not be necessary to show a conviction of the principal thief.

I don't think you misunderstood. I think you are just much more polite than I am when the needle on your B.S. Meter goes full right.
Darn facts.

And unless you or I or anybody else is under oath or talking to a federal agent, we are legally allowed to lie too.

Not correct...

O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20 (Copy w/ Cite)
Pages: 1
O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2014 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2014 Regular Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
ARTICLE 2. OBSTRUCTION OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION AND RELATED OFFENSES

O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20 (2014)

§ 16-10-20. False statements and writings, concealment of facts, and fraudulent documents in matters within jurisdiction of state or political subdivisions

A person who knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact; makes a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or makes or uses any false writing or document, knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry, in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of state government or of the government of any county, city, or other political subdivision of this state shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or both.

Don't take "legal" advice from a public forum unless you want to end up in a real bad situation..
Either contact an attorney or the appropriate law enforcement agency.....if you sit and wait , when they arrive,one of the questions will be..
When you were told about this, why did you not come forward if you are innocent as you claim?

well the lesson I learned here is you shouldn't bother running the serial number of your own guns (ignorance is bliss?) and avoid pawning them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom