• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WASR, NPAP, other AKs

The low price point can be a bit deceiving when it comes to AKs. The truth of the matter is a 400 price split between bottom and what some would consider high end of quality with the rifles. $650 to $1050 price range opens up bunch of options. WASR, NPAP, Saiga, VEPR, Polish, Arsenal, Egyptian, and Chinese. If you want to stay on the bottom, a WASR is your best bet. The fit and finish can be a bit rough, but that will correct itself when you start shooting. The Yugo guns ( npap, opap) are also excellent rifles that have nicer wood on them. If you plan on changing parts, bear in mind that most parts are going to be standard AKM only. The aftermarket is catching up, but some yugo and vepr variants will be limited on part options. Hope this helps.

WASR, no question for me. It is also the easiest to add accessories, by far, if you're into that sort of thing.

They are all imported as single stack sporting rifles and then opened up in US. WASR does not have dimples, but is OK. Neither does my 2004 Vepr, and it will outshoot most of otjer AKs on the market. And takes regular mags.

I would like to have a VEPR. I would also like a Saiga. Its a shame they stopped importation.

That's a mighty fine looking rifle in the link you posted. But that price is kinda crazy. I noticed it has a polished bolt carrier. Mine was black and rough looking.
It is NOT a WASR. It is a custom built by Atlantic, using Romanin military AK kits. Receivers and barrels are cut up, and shipped to US.
They are built here using Morrissey receivers and nitrated barrel, Boyd stocks and Romanian parts.
Finish on the Atlantic rifles is the best I have seen, better than Vepr's. 2 finishes, actually, manganese phosphate and Teflon on top. Solvent does not harm that finish.

Here is a cheaper version. I do not know how much it will be after it comes back in stock.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...fles/aam-romy-fixed-bfpu-detail.html?Itemid=0

It is NOT a WASR. It is a custom built by Atlantic, using Romanin military AK kits. Receivers and barrels are cut up, and shipped to US.
They are built here using Morrissey receivers and nitrated barrel, Boyd stocks and Romanian parts.
Finish on the Atlantic rifles is the best I have seen, better than Vepr's. 2 finishes, actually, manganese phosphate and Teflon on top. Solvent does not harm that finish.

Here is a cheaper version. I do not know how much it will be after it comes back in stock.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...fles/aam-romy-fixed-bfpu-detail.html?Itemid=0
I have one. This is/was an Atlantic morrisey MD63 kit build. Fantastic I love it

6AAABDCE-EFF8-45AE-A0FA-CD3001A0CF87.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom