went through my get home bag today

Thank you for your help. Do you have any recommendations for a pocket knife?

The newer Leatherman tools have locking knife blades made of decent steel.

For a folding lockblade there are many offerings from Benchmade, Spyder, Kershaw, Buck, SOG, etc.

Most serious, experienced outdoorsmen favor 2 3/4"-3 3/4" blades w/ a solid locking system such as a linerlock or Axis lock made of quality steel. Drop point blades are pretty useful for utility purposes.

Fixed blades that work well as a general purpose knife usually range from 3 1/2"-5 1/2" w/ a good quality steel at least 3/16" thick or so w/ a droppoint, clip, or bowie style point.
Stainless steel is nice but there are some good A-2 & D2 blades out there too.
I prefer my fixed blades to have full length tangs that run all the way through the handle so that the blade won't be as likely to break during hard use/ abuse if that becomes necessary.
I prefer to have a hatchet & wiresaw to complement the knife but the hatchet is too heavy unless you need to do a lot of cutting.

A sturdy handle that won't slip on a fixed blade knife is preferable as well as a nice sturdy belt holster.

Gerber, Benchmade, Buck, SOG, Busse, Fallkniven,TOPS, Cold Steel, etc. have plenty to pick from.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned the large rat traps for catching whatever will go to it . I thought it was a good idea , So I added a couple .

Paperback book on plants you can eat . For visual as none of us guys read the little words .

Sling shot , magnifying glass , tweezers , needle & thread for cuts , a few tampons for puncture wounds , salt .

I have also hidden supply capsules ( 6" PVC pipe w/caps ) twice my height away from power poles on the way to the land I plan to head to if SHTF . 10 miles to the land 5 hidden along the way & I printed a layout of the land by section ( Google Earth ) incase I need to avoid an area , but still get to my hidden needs.

sooooooooo how far away do you all work from home? the intent of my get home bag is if i'm at work? with a bag like that it seems more like a bug out bag.

Mine has:
my glock 26
4 mags
4 power bars
3 bottles of water

in one of those drawstring mesh gym bags that you throw on your back.

i work about a 30 minute drive away from home.

not sure about you all but if i have all that i see no point in going home

a little more info would be good. how far do you plan on traveling to get home? what type or terrain (urban, suburban, countyside, mountains, etc).

water, shelter, food, and protection are all good things to think about. you have food for 4 days but no shelter? no real protection options?

you can live for days without food, but with hypothermia, you won't last long. :)

good quality waterproof/breathable jacket and pants, good boots, lightweight non cotton clothes. if it's cooler add a synthetic fleece type jacket/sweater.

disposable lighter is a good thing.

better light source. Headlight is the bomb for camping and doing close by stuff at night, but maybe a better/brighter light to check things out a little further away. I have a Petzl tikka XP2 headlight that I use all the time and a Surefire U2 Ultra for the distance/bright/weapon light. extra batteries for both. might be easier to move at night and you want to be able to see.

something for shelter- could be a simple bivy bag, tarp, or just a small waterproof sheet to pull over yourself with your rain gear on. block the wind and water is what you want.

good maps if you aren't totally familiar with all the main and back roads between your work and home. main roads might be closed or you might want to take other routes. pay particular attention to any water you have to cross as this can be a big bottleneck. if you think about a major event in ATL that might cause mass exodus from the city, think about the bigger rivers (mainly the chattahoochee) and how few bridges there are to get you across the river. toss in a few accidents or bridge closures and how people would have to move to get around such bottlenecks, could be interesting...

anyway that's just off the top of my head. :)

how far do you plan on traveling to get home?

terrain (urban, suburban, countyside, mountains, etc).

good quality waterproof/breathable jacket and pants, good boots, lightweight non cotton clothes. if it's cooler add a synthetic fleece type jacket/sweater.

disposable lighter is a good thing.

I have a Petzl tikka XP2 headlight Surefire U2 Ultra for the distance/bright/weapon light. extra batteries for both.

something for shelter-

good maps if you aren't totally familiar with all the main and back roads between your work and home. main roads might be closed or you might want to take other routes. pay particular attention to any water you have to cross as this can be a big bottleneck.

anyway that's just off the top of my head. :)

- its 30 miles to home
-suburban to countryside
i have a petzel head light too love the water resistance of them, it has red/ white light options. Roger about the rain fly, 30 miles is about a 3 day walk. i take the back roads to my location so i'm farily familliar with them.

@ gth183x. I dont have a handgun i'm too young. However i do have an underfolder ak that sleeps next to my bed and 3 mags for it. It will be my primary offensive tool

0-$45. I have a very bad habit of losing pocket knives :(

scout skills lol

Kershaw has some really good folders in that price range.
Their steel has some pretty good edge holding properties.

Gerber, Buck, Benchmade, & maybe even Opinel have some good fixed blade choices to pick from at reasonable prices.

Kershaw has some really good folders in that price range.
Their steel has some pretty good edge holding properties.

Gerber, Buck, Benchmade, & maybe even Opinel have some good fixed blade choices to pick from at reasonable prices.

What is your opinion on CRKT? i've had and "misplaced" a few of those loved 'em while i had them

What is your opinion on CRKT? i've had and "misplaced" a few of those loved 'em while i had them

They seem to be built pretty well. I don't hear many complaints about them.
Possibly due to a decent balance of performance/ price I've seen quite a few in the pockets of military personnel I've trained or trained with.

Back
Top Bottom