• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the worst accidental discharge you have seen!

I have 2 - One that almost happened and one that happened.
First one that almost happened was I was at a gunshop in MS when I lived there and a guy who worked there had a 1911 (don't remember what kind) with some scrimshawed (by him and poorly done) ivory micarta grips on it. I asked about the gun and and he unholstered it and dropped the mag and handed it to me to look at. He said "feel the trigger, I just worked on it".....I swiped the safety off (it was "cocked and locked"), drew back the slide and a HP .45 ACP round clattered to the counter.....He was very embarassed.

2nd time it was a boom, but not by me. Me and some guys from my Battalion were getting ready to go see a show (Agnostic Front, Dropkick Murphys and U.S. Bombs) in N.O. when I was still living in MS. The fellas wanted to see some guns and I was showing them the long guns and handguns and ENSURED all were unloaded and we looked at them and talked. Well we were getting ready to leave and I charged my Norinco 1911A1 with a full mag +1 in the chamber of 230gr. Black Talon HPs. I put the gun on the bed away from everyone and started putting the rifles away then the whole room got real loud then real quiet. One of the guys in the room crawled across the bed, grabbed the 1911, swiped the safety off and put one in the floor in front of my dresser. It spalled the concrete, and splintered up the front of the dresser. It was a mess. I wasn't the only one in the room who wanted to "put hands on him". He was arrogant about it afterwards and a total Dbag from that point on. I never spoke to him again. I kept the remnants of the slug and fragments on top of the dresser for a long time as a reminder. It was a rental house I was sharing with a buddy that was Bravo Co. in my battalion, and I had to explain to him and the landlord what happened.

Worst AD I've seen was done by me. Benjamin pump-up pellet rifle. Winter of the 8th grade. In the woods a long way from home. Swung it down, decocking with my thumb, finger on trigger. Thumb slipped. Shot my right foot. Went through rubber boot, leather shoe, two pairs of socks. felt like a big rock fell on my foot. Projectile went into bone, turned, travelled through the marrow about four inches. ..

That Benjamin had some power. Have you thought of selling the publishing rights to this story to the airgun manufacturer so they could make some ads based on this? ;)

Guess I’ll tell this one on myself, still chills me 60+ years later.
I was about 14, had been out in the backyard shooting my Remington Fieldmaster .22 pump. Thought I had shot it dry, came into the house, racked the slide and stupidly pointed it at my grandfather’s head.
He, being a retired M/Sgt and WW2 combat vet, cursed me and told me never to do that.
I explained that I knew the gun was empty, pointed it up to the ceiling, pulled the trigger, and sent a long rifle bullet through the roof.
Not sure which of us it scared worse, but I’ve never pointed a gun at someone I wasn’t willing to shoot since.

That Benjamin had some power. Have you thought of selling the publishing rights to this story to the airgun manufacturer so they could make some ads based on this? ;)
Never thought of that. That Benjamin was given to me by an uncle. I had several more pellet guns after that one. All Crosmans. None that powerful. The Benjamin I could pump eight pumps total. By that time there was so much compression that it took two fat women to sit on it and get a ninth pump. You could pump a Crosman 20 pumps and still not get the power of the Ben with 8 pumps. I shot mostly BBs in the Ben. Cheaper than pellets.. Some times I would shoot several BBs at one time, patching them in with toilet paper. I think all pump-up pellet rifles today have a relief valve that keeps your power down.

I shot all over my hand once.......oh crap. Not that kind discharge. Carry on :out:
FFE02FA8-4CCB-485A-9D46-C8D5B67D8F4E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom