• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What game animals/birds do you not care to eat?

Bear is probably about it for me. I've tried it twice and did not like it either time.

For me it's more about the effort and reward. Birds and squirrels are a lot of work for very little reward. As such I will only hunt squirrel a couple of times a year, and I do not bother with birds. Doing meat chickens at home is enough for me.

I guess the real reason I started this is I occasionally hear people say "I don't like xxxxx, it tastes too gamey." Now obviously prep is 99% of any perceived 'gaminess' but people right off entire species due to what they believe to be a different taste. I just haven't run across that critter yet (again, there's some I just don't venture into but...). For example, I would have 'assumed' gator wouldn't be good. I love it.

Oh heck, I JUST thought of something (guess I lied). Frog legs. But.... there's a qualifier. I used to love them as a kid and would always order them at restaurants (never caught and cooked them myself). Now one time, I made the mistake of really smelling them. Not sure if it was just the batch on my plate or they all have that smell, but that was the LAST time I ate frog legs. :grey:

Mullet is best when used to catch tasty fish like snapper, grouper, amberjack, and tuna.

They were in thick at Christmas around Gulf Shores.

I was working in Clearwater Fl last year. Smoked mullet dip was everywhere so I tried it. It was absolutely delicious. So much so that I craved it for about 6 months after I got home. I tried finding it in the Atlanta area, but no such luck.

My unusually meat choices are fairly limited.

Mullet is great fried or smoked and I don't have a clue why it's not mainstream. If you are ever near Perdido Key go to The Point and listen to live bluegrass and order the mullet strips. That's about as good as it gets.

Bear is un-bear-able.

Cow tongue if properly prepared is really, really good.

In Russia I was served some stewed mystery meat with yellow fat. It was pretty nasty. After talking to a couple of locals it was probably horse.

Gator tail is good marinated and grilled. Fried it just tastes like fried pork. The front legs are pretty good too.

Notice no one said elephant, lion, rhino etc......guess we are all local and small game shooters. Just thought of another strange one: monitor lizards....don't know if you can hunt them (or they hunt you) but would be an opportunity to taste dinosaur....probably smell like frog legs.

From what I am told Barracuda is delicious but it can kill you. Ciguatera is no joke.

I'm from miami and a hard core salt water fishermen, barracuda is one of my favorite fish to eat but you are right ciguatera is no joke but it is very rare, i have seen friends loose their hair, voting and diarrhea for week and not to talk about your male organ if you know what i mean jajajaja

Back
Top Bottom