• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best American 22lr bolt action on the market…

I'm impressed with how well the Bergara shot a variety of ammo. I love my CZ, but it might be time to look at retiring it.
My B14R has no problem with the 1/4" KYL stick at 100 yards with Winchester White Box 36g Copper HP. I've shot "good" ammo through it such as Eley ammo and yes, it shoots better, but I bought the gun to be a money saver over its short action brother, so its gets a steady diet of the cheap stuff.

Since we are talking precision 22s, here's a couple of questions.

1) Do you preform a barrel break in? If so, what procedure?

2) Do you clean the barrel regularly or are you of the school that says the more lead in the barrel of a 22, the better?

2) Do you clean the barrel regularly or are you of the school that says the more lead in the barrel of a 22, the better?
1. No barrel break in per se. You do want to run at least a box of 50 rds through before you start shoot groups to let that lubricant to lay down in the barrel.

2. I almost never clean the barrel. I clean the chamber and action though.

I run mine 100% suppressed and clean mine when I can't work the bolt or the cases start getting stuck. So, very rarely. And then it takes about 20-25 rounds for it to tighten up again after cleaning.

I needed to hear that about the cleaning... again. It's just very counterintuitive for me. On my centerfire rifles I clean the hell out of the barrel on a regular basis and then just fire a couple of rounds to properly foul it.

I needed to hear that about the cleaning... again. It's just very counterintuitive for me. On my centerline rifles I clean the hell out of the barrel on a regular basis and then just fire a couple of rounds to properly foul it.
I don't clean my centerfire precision barrels until about 600 rounds on average, they typically don't start opening up until about 750-900. I tried break-ins and cleaning schedules and the only thing it got me was easier cleaning and a quicker white patch. Did nothing for accuracy so I stopped it altogether. I could live with nothing but a bore snake every now and then.

I don't clean my centerfire precision barrels until about 600 rounds on average, they typically don't start opening up until about 750-900. I tried break-ins and cleaning schedules and the only thing it got me was easier cleaning and a quicker white patch. Did nothing for accuracy so I stopped it altogether. I could live with nothing but a bore snake every now and then.
Interesting. My results has been quite different with the rifles I've experimented with.

Back
Top Bottom