• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kind of gear do you run for pistol/carbine class?

I get asked a lot about what rig and components I run when Instructing, specifically Carbine (AR or AK) or Shotgun. I thought I'd lay everything out, label it and go over it.

Thank you for your post, I'm going to work on acquiring this gear.
Ares Gear. I prefer the Aegis for daily carry and wear one pretty much every day, and I like the Ranger for classes.

Generally OWB for training. For daily carry I appendix carry IWB and I train that way on my own, but for large format classes there are a lot of reasons not go appendix, and for that matter a lot of instructors don't allow appendix carry in classes anyway.

For gear, I run primarily Raven Concealment holsters and pouches. I also like Blade Tech mag pouches for the double mag pouches that I use only for classes, because if you get the Tek Lok attachment they're quick on/off but also still secure.

Thanks dude. I'll check these out also. Do you have any mag recs? I have 3 stock sigs and 1 wilson combat. College student budget is sadly not conducive to mag hoarding lol.

Thank you for your post, I'm going to work on acquiring this gear.

Thanks dude. I'll check these out also. Do you have any mag recs? I have 3 stock sigs and 1 wilson combat. College student budget is sadly not conducive to mag hoarding lol.

Buy a Chip McCormick Power Mag and see if your 1911 likes it. If it does, they're quite a bit less expensive than the Wilson mags and still a dang good mag. When I shot Single Stack USPSA they're all I used.

Simple for 100 yd. +, Rock River AR with Eotech 512 & Magnifier, dbl stage trigger, for 223/556 use 20 & 30 round mags, 3 of each or if allowed, a Beta ma'/surefire 60.100m rounders, if no mag changes are required,
For less than 100 yard ranges, I use either a 45 ACP or 9mm TNW AR so my Glock mags are interchangeable for both guns,
Pistol varies G34,35 or 41, lots of long stick mags, for both Pistols and Rifles, for the KCI and that style, make balls of black duct tape to help hold on base plates to avoid a speed unload when the weight and spring under 45ACP tension pops off the floor plate.
Shotty never varies for me, Rem 1100 Synthetic, Youth model with a 12 round tube, fiber optic rifle sights, I have to shoot shotty weak side due to shoulder hardware on strong side, the 20 gets it done from steel plates at 75 yards to clays tossed by poppers much closer, California gun works has the best price ion shell holders for the shotty, 6 12's or 7-20's, per holder
Simple Magnetic style Houge Holster for Pistol, 6 Inexpensive mag holders by Uncle Mikes or the like, Inexpensive but sturdy gun beltView attachment 1014378 2", single point AR sling. Shown below is simple and inexpensive but effective set up
Your face looks funny.

Back
Top Bottom