• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

When does energy turn into matter?

Energy itself doesn't become matter, and matter doesn't become energy

Matter can release energy as it decomposes, and energy can take the smaller bits and form matter

huh.jpg

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying now. Thanks man, that really made the light bulb go off for me.

So not to complicate things, but where does the Higgs-boson fit into all of this? Isn't it the particle that is responsible for mass?

Yes, the Higgs boson is responsible for mass but you really have to understand the higgs field first. The most common analogy (and the one I use with my students) is like swimming in water. The higgs field is an energy field that is everywhere all the time and there are no holes in it, the same as if you were swimming in a super large tank of perfectly clear water. Some things, like photons (light), will not interact with the water at all (or only barely) and would be considered massless or near massless because they don't interact with the water (higgs field). Streamlined things like dolphins interact very little and would have very little mass (like an electron). other things, like a truck driving through the water would interact a lot and have a lot of mass (like a proton). So how much mass you have is a function of how much you interact with the higgs field.

And as water is made up of tiny particles called molecules, the higgs field is made up of tiny particles called bosons. There are different kinds of bosons, but these create the higgs field so are called higgs bosons.

Yes, the Higgs boson is responsible for mass but you really have to understand the higgs field first. The most common analogy (and the one I use with my students) is like swimming in water. The higgs field is an energy field that is everywhere all the time and there are no holes in it, the same as if you were swimming in a super large tank of perfectly clear water. Some things, like photons (light), will not interact with the water at all (or only barely) and would be considered massless or near massless because they don't interact with the water (higgs field). Streamlined things like dolphins interact very little and would have very little mass (like an electron). other things, like a truck driving through the water would interact a lot and have a lot of mass (like a proton). So how much mass you have is a function of how much you interact with the higgs field.

And as water is made up of tiny particles called molecules, the higgs field is made up of tiny particles called bosons. There are different kinds of bosons, but these create the higgs field so are called higgs bosons.

Ok so mass is just a product of a particles reaction with the Higgs field? Why was it so hard for us to confirm the existence of the Higgs-boson if the Higgs field is everywhere?

And are you a physics professor? You seem like you explain these things a lot.

Back
Top Bottom