• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which 1911?

IMO Springfields are the best bang for the buck. Most of them are Series 70 and all new models come with forged slide and frame.... even the bottom of the line mil-spec. you cant go wrong with Springfield!

My input on this and take it for what it's worth. I don't know your budget is but my first 1911 was a Sprinfield Range Officer. I absolutely loved it. My Paw-In-Law had a Springer Mil Spec that I got to shoot and and was very impressed with it. Would make a great base gun. I did a lot of research before I bought my first 1911 and it led me to Springfield NOT Colt although my next 1911 was a Colt XSE which is a great gun. Colt no longer makes the XSE models but I have read the Colt Competition is a great entry level gun and I am looking at one myself.

As for my next 1911 and more and more reading and research I bought my first and definitely not last Dan Wesson and let me tell you what. That is a finely built 1911. No MIM parts if you care about that, in which that is a topic for another day. But as they say buy once cry once this is where it's at. Dan Wesson makes a great 1911. Mine is in the Duty Treat not stainless in which they have had problems a couple years ago with galling with the stainless models, don't know if they were properly lubed or not or what caused it. But I would recommend the Duty Treat over the stainless anyways.

My wife's cousin has a Ruger 1911 that I got a first hand experience with and I have always been happy with what Ruger has put out and I was very pleased with the 1911 they had produced. It would not be my first choice but it would not be a bad choice by any means I would just go with Springfield first, well Dan Wesson then Springfield.

1. Dan Wesson
2. Springfield (Range Officer/Loaded)
2:A Colt Competition
3. Ruger

These Are just the brands I have had first hand experience with.

matters on what your trying to spend. if your just trying them out and don't want to spend a lot then a rock island or Taurus will do you well at around 400. next jump I would make would be a ruger sr1911 for around 600. after that it gets really hard for me to spend more as the nicer ones I've shot never ran any better than the rock island I had and while they had better triggers it was light years difference so I would find it hard to drop anything over 600-700 on an 1911 that didn't have collectors value

I own or have owned them all. My first pistol was Argentina pistola automatica
Never had a less accurate gun.
All other 1911 since have been extremely accurate.
The resale value is good on Colt. But who is selling.?

I love my Sig 1911 extreme as it has become my carry, since I shoot so well. Holsters can be a pain (i make my own).

Having had many 1911's from Kimber, Colt, Taurus and Springfield, now Sig, ditch the factory mags and buy Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick

Back
Top Bottom