• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why do people carry FMJ instead of HPS?

I don’t even look like a gun toting guy, so I’m obviously gonna scare them away when I pull my smith m37 with Pearl grips and a rose from my purdy leather holster on my designer jeans, If that don’t work I’ll use shot placement with my round lead nose or simi wad cutter Ammo. Good for blood poisoning and nasty infections.
if I survive, maybe my lawyer will thank me for making his life easier in front of the jury.
your honor, my client was just driving home from the range and absolutely scared to death being attacked by maga hat wearing hillbillies.
god help the person who catches me only carrying a .22, you gonna get 10 in the throat.

I can tell you why I don't carry fmj for self defense if I can find hp. If I have to use my gun to stop a threat I want it stopped as quickly as possible. I shoot practical accuracy, a 4 inch group rapid fire, with my carry gun and choose not to depend on luck that the rounds on target will find an off switch. I practice the hostage shot, but in real life is something I pray never comes up. The hp ammo makes wound channels that roughly end up 2x ish the original size of the round. In my book that's more or less the equivalent of 2 rounds of threat stopping ability for every 1 round fired. Under stress and panic, I'll do anything I can to hedge my bet to be alive at the end of the day. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

I know how to settle this debate once and for all. I just need a volunteer, I will load a pistol either .45 or .9mm with two rounds. the volunteer can choose which. They will be fmj first and jhp second. The volunteer gets to charge at me screaming like a banshee from hell wielding a big knife or club, if the fmj does not stop the volunteer in their tracks I will fire upon them a second time with jhp. I think this could really work and solve this debate, any takers? Reservoir do you want to volunteer your body for science?

I know how to settle this debate once and for all. I just need a volunteer, I will load a pistol either .45 or .9mm with two rounds. the volunteer can choose which. They will be fmj first and jhp second. The volunteer gets to charge at me screaming like a banshee from hell wielding a big knife or club, if the fmj does not stop the volunteer in their tracks I will fire upon them a second time with jhp. I think this could really work and solve this debate, any takers? Reservoir do you want to volunteer your body for science?

I volunteer to be shot with FMJ. That way it'll be a lot easier to clean the wound

i run mostly a 240 gr full wad cutter in my .44spcl
210gr SWC in my .41 carry
.45acp gets ball ammo….
i dont carry mouse guns that much….if i do it’s usually a Browning HP in 9mm hollow point or ball

Back
Top Bottom