• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would anyone buy your homebuilt Franken AR?

Do a search for military m4 being built . LWRC had a video of them manufacturing m4s for the mil. It showed rows of
People with trays of parts slapping them together as fast as they cOuld. I Doubt a gunsmith would do this 8 hours a day.
Some people think that there is a gunsmith wearing and apron with
Magnified glasses and a file working on these things on a a bench for hours.
By the way my home built AR has never jammed missfed of failed to fire. 1/2" accurate all day at 100. Suppressed or not.
Even went through a tactical carbine class with it. The alg handguard got too hot to handle. Had to use gloves and a pistol grip on the handguard to keep from getting burned.
I true the upper receiver, make sure the gas system it timed right and buy good parts.

I MIGHT would buy a home build if I was looking for a certain component it had. I've NEVER built a "budget build". I'm not trying to build a rifle for as cheap as possible, by using cheap(er) components and cutting corners. I build my rifles, exactly how I want them. All of it is the way I want it. Quality components and attention to detail make for quality rifles. I do end up with a lot of parts from different companies but I don't care about that.

Same reason people don't shoot others reloads.

Headspace isn't an issue, until it is. I usually buy my barrels with the extensions already on, but I will headspace check with my BCG's anyway. Why not??

I bet half the "budget builders" on here don't torque barrel's to spec. because they don't have a 1/2" torque wrench. Hell I bet a lot of them don't even grease the threads when attaching to the upper, much less using mil-spec aero. I'm not a gunsmith, but the little things matter to me.

I woud, have and will again. They are made of legos. It's easy to spot any build error or incompatibility. I have built a couple dozen ARs myself. It's no big deal to strip one down, check out all the parts and replace as needed....and the number one build error that frustrates people into giving up and selling their homebuilds on the cheap? upside down hammer springs...which causes light strike misfires. It takes about 3 minutes to take it out and flip it over. So the better question for me is, why pay more for a factory build?

I MIGHT would buy a home build if I was looking for a certain component it had. I've NEVER built a "budget build". I'm not trying to build a rifle for as cheap as possible, by using cheap(er) components and cutting corners. I build my rifles, exactly how I want them. All of it is the way I want it. Quality components and attention to detail make for quality rifles. I do end up with a lot of parts from different parts but I don't care about that.

Same reason people don't shoot others reloads.

Headspace isn't an issue, until it is. I usually buy my barrels with the extensions already on, but I will headspace check with my BCG's anyway. Why not??

I bet half the "budget builders" on here don't torque barrel's to spec. because they don't have a 1/2" torque wrench. Hell I bet a lot of them don't even grease the threads when attaching to the upper, much less using mil-spec aero. I'm not a gunsmith, but the little things matter to me.
image.jpg

Get any match ar15 18"-24" barrel from krieger, lija, etc , a match trigger and some quality ammo Hornady, Federal or black hills 68-77 grain match. And if you are not getting 1/2" groups at 100
It is not the gear. My last wilson combat 18" spr could do with match hornady 68. Used surplus ammo the vel difference would not let you group.
By the way, i have a complete DCM upper for sale on here that is 1/2" capable or better. Not home built though. 1991 Bushmaster era.

My Daughter's old MK12 was a solid .6 moa gun all day long (with 69gr Reloads), wish I would have kept it. Mine's a solid minute of head out to 700

I've got one I developed a load for using 77gr tmks, but I pulled the glass off after getting the load and put A2s on it. Haven't shot an inch with it since.

Back
Top Bottom