• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your thoughts on Gun Regulations (Specifically Ownership)

Rommel

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
Had an interesting discussion today with lets say a "co-worker" today. A few times we have talked guns and to me he seemed to have somewhat of a stronger interest than most in firearms. In the past we had talked different manuacturers and models and for the most part he seemed very sensible and intelligent about firearms and laws. I know that he owns a few (CC and HD) firearms and seems to enjoy them. However today we got started on a conversation which brought up a subject I haven't thought about for a while.
While discussing the 2nd Amendment, Concealed Carry, Open Carry, etc. the issue of gun control came up. In particular regulations. We both did agree that the 2nd Amendments' main purpose is the defense our society from a tyrannical government. However the old question did come up on just how regulated should guns be, that is, what exactly should the responsible, law-abiding citizens be allowed to purchase and/or possess? From what I gathered his thoughts were against fully automatic rifles. I believe he used the words "big 50 caliber machine guns". However he didn't seem concerned at all about magazine capacities on firearms. I did think this was in a way a contradiction. So that got me thinking. I need to ask my fellow members here on ODT on what their thoughts are on the subject. What should Americans be allowed to purchase / possess and what (if any) shouldn't they be able to?

*Please note* This is not an attempt to solve a debate as none was created. This is because I wonder how others feel about the subject. Please keep this thread civil so we can keep it out of the boiler room. After all, this is just a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that if the govt can have it we should be able to as well. Of course almost nobody could afford the really good stuff...

My opinion is that if the govt can have it we should be able to as well. Of course almost nobody could afford the really good stuff...

Are you referring to just firearms or other weapons such as RPG's, etc.? Please note that I am not trying to be sarcastic here. I'm also not saying that we should have access to biological weapons either before someone fires that one off at me, lol.

"...shall not be infringed." is how the founders phrased the second amendment. They did not feel it was appropriate for the government to decide who may and who may not bear arms and used the word "infringed" for a reason.

I am of two minds on this.

One half is telling me that the Constitution is very clear about this, and that the second amendment was written so that the government and its military would never become more powerful than its citizens.

The other half says that the Constitution was written at a time when no one could imagine what kind of "arms" we would have today. ICBM's, jet fighters, Gatling cannons, SP Arty, etc are on the list of things I would not want the average American to have at his or her disposal (not to mention things like nuclear/chemical/biological weapons).

I am of two minds on this.

One half is telling me that the Constitution is very clear about this, and that the second amendment was written so that the government and its military would never become more powerful than its citizens.

The other half says that the Constitution was written at a time when no one could imagine what kind of "arms" we would have today. ICBM's, jet fighters, Gatling cannons, SP Arty, etc are on the list of things I would not want the average American to have at his or her disposal (not to mention things like nuclear/chemical/biological weapons).

At the time of The Revolution and many years after, private individuals owned artillery, and warships (the tanks of their day). There is a reason the founders used the word "arms" not "guns".

Back
Top Bottom