• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22LR for defense

point of aim is important. not just ammo choice.

Like wheeler said...placement is key. A well placed .22 would beat a .45 in the toe, right :)?

If that's what she's most comfortable with, knows the best, and has the best aim with, then I wouldn't want to be standing in front of her.

In terms of particular ammo, I (personally) would definitely go with the stingers...the only problems with .22 ammo that I've had were FTF/FTE in a semi auto, so those issues are eliminated obviously with revolvers.

another point to consider. Rimfires as a whole are not as reliable as centerfire cartridges. If I had to make a choice based on the ammo going bang everytime the firing pin hit the primer, I would choose a ceterfire cartridge. A .22 in nothing to laugh at, I surely wouldn't want someone to take potshots at me with one. As time progresses, and she gets more proficient and confident, it might not hurt to get her to try a centerfire caliber in a manageable platform, with relatively low recoil and noise.

I'm certainly not trying to get you to change her mind, simply pointing out a possible goal to work towards.

Wheeler

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll probably pick her up at a box of CCI Stingers and a value pack and try to get her to the range as soon as possible.

I carry a .22 for self defense and I don't ever worry about not having enough gun. I have 7 shots, I keep that in mind, if someone is close enough to harm me they will get all 7 in the chest and they will go down. The sight of a gun is sometimes enough to stop someone, it has been before for me, and again if someone is coming at me all 7 in the COM...game over! I sometimes work at night in rough areas and I find comfort in my .22......just sitting there in my pocket, not taking up much room..........in a pocket holster and ready to go. I will highly recommend that you practice constantly with your carry at different distances, no matter what the caliber, sitting, standing, kneeling, etc, and work on drawing it from wherever you plan to keep it, then when needed let muscle memory take over. Also what others have posted, CCI is the best, for carry it is a must, I use Stingers.

For me, a .22 is never enough gun for self defense, especially a NAA mini revolver. I have a .22 mag round in my right leg from one, from an AD, and I am here to tell you that if it hadn't been an AD, I would have fed that revolver to him before he could have cocked it again. Yes, there is the chance that you could hit something vital and make an instant kill, but the reality is that the chance is slim. You may be able to tear a small hole out of the center of your target at the range, but that target isn't moving and it isn't shooting back at you.

You may also have the mindset of the previous poster that you will put all 7,9,12, etc. rounds into the target (and that may do it) but that also breaks one of the top ten rules of self defense. Never expend all your rounds.

The things that have to be taken into account with caliber choices is (1) the purpose of the design of the round (is it designed for a particular barrel length to be optimal), (2) are you using it in a weapon where it will be optimal. Point in case, the .45 acp was designed to be used in a 5 inch barrel and that is why I carry a full size 1911 or a tactical XD. In a compact version, you are loosing energy as powder burns in the air after the round has exited the barrel. This lose of energy is significant with the NAA. I never want to choose a caliber that I feel that I may have to expel all my rounds to stop a single target, although it is always in the mind that it is a possibility. For me, I feel confident that a double tap from my .45acp will neutralize an attacker and leave me sufficient rounds to address over targets if necessary.

While a agree that a .22 is better than no gun at all, I feel like it is picking the lessor of the evils. When you picks the lessor of evil, you still have evil. When you pick just better than no gun at all, that is all you have, a little better than no gun at all.

Just my thoughts.

Luke

That's why I carry another mag in the left pocket hehe:)

But seriously, it's not a shootout at the OK Corral, neutralize as effectively and quickly as possible and then move your a$$ and get as far away from the situation as possible. The encounters I've had on the street are close.....very close. Recently a bum tried to rob me in downtown Chattanooga on my way to the truck. Came up to me with both hands in his coat pockets, told me to give up my money, I shoved him quickly and forcefully back with an open handed left to the chest and pulled my pea-shooter with my right. Now this guy is 4-5 feet away and my gun is out, pointed at his chest. He saw what I had, pulled his hands from his pockets and raised them up. I told him to leave me alone and move along, not that nice of course, but you get the idea. Then made my way to the truck and left. This is what generally happens in a real self defense situation.....again not a shootout. Best thing that can happen is both people walk away and hopefully learn a lesson. By the way...he didn't care what caliber my handgun was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom