• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22LR for defense

That's why I carry another mag in the left pocket hehe:)

But seriously, it's not a shootout at the OK Corral, neutralize as effectively and quickly as possible and then move your a$$ and get as far away from the situation as possible.

I don't know how many shooting that you have been involved in, but out of my several, I've been involved in four where I took a total of seven rounds. The last one being 3, from a .38 Special(125 gr. HP). My point is, you never know how many you are going to need. The human body is an amazing thing and it's much tougher than many people give it credit.

I will admit that must people don't want to get shot by any gun, but I can also tell you that must of the time a person doesn't know right away that they have been hit even with a larger caliber. In the last shooting, the first two rounds were taken in my left shoulder. I didn't know that I was hit, the third round was center mass, left lung, near the heart and I was still able to respond. In other words, it didn't "stop" me.

I guess it all boils down to "carry what you feel good about," and for me it's a .45. I want the threat "stopped."

This really was not meant to debate the usage of .22LR as a defense round. I've already said I know it isnt and was asking if that's all someone had, what load would be used.

This really was not meant to debate the usage of .22LR as a defense round. I've already said I know it isnt and was asking if that's all someone had, what load would be used.

I apologize for getting of topic, but the with so many that feel that the .22 is adequate, I felt I had to interject some. The fact of the matter is, I don't suppose that any can give you a sound answer based on any kind of research because I doubt that there is any kind of documentation to back it up. I tell you that in my experience CCIs are the most reliable, but I can't tell you how well it will stop a man, because I have never shot a man with a .22. I do know of a few cases where a .22 did make a kill. There was a lady that was shot at a store near the house that I grew up in. One shot and she was killed, but before dying she ran 150 to 200 feet.

I seen my grandfather kill a hog or two every year with the .22 rifle that I now have, but I have also seen a squirrel hit, fall out of a tree and still try to run off. This is probably why you don't see many people carrying a .22 in the brush to kill boar. It's probably also the same reason that hitmen used a .22, it's real easy to walk up to an unsuspecting hog in a pen and shoot him between the eyes and kill him dead....... it's a little harder to make that kind of shot placement to someone that may already be in the middle of his attack on you.

I don't mean to pee on your thread, but in good conscience, I have to point out down falls.

Luke

I carry a .22 for self defense and I don't ever worry about not having enough gun. I have 7 shots, I keep that in mind, if someone is close enough to harm me they will get all 7 in the chest and they will go down. The sight of a gun is sometimes enough to stop someone, it has been before for me, and again if someone is coming at me all 7 in the COM...game over! .

Bwahahahahahahahah!

I know of a case where a guy got shot 6 times, all upper torso center mass, from 15 feet, with HOT.45acp 185 grain JHP's, and did not go down at once, nor was he immediately stopped.

Bwahahahahahahahah!

I know of a case where a guy got shot 6 times, all upper torso center mass, from 15 feet, with HOT.45acp 185 grain JHP's, and did not go down at once, nor was he immediately stopped.

This thread has prompted me to decide that I am going to conduct some test and see how the .22 performs.

Luke

I don't know how many shooting that you have been involved in, but out of my several, I've been involved in four where I took a total of seven rounds. The last one being 3, from a .38 Special(125 gr. HP). My point is, you never know how many you are going to need. The human body is an amazing thing and it's much tougher than many people give it credit.

I will admit that must people don't want to get shot by any gun, but I can also tell you that must of the time a person doesn't know right away that they have been hit even with a larger caliber. In the last shooting, the first two rounds were taken in my left shoulder. I didn't know that I was hit, the third round was center mass, left lung, near the heart and I was still able to respond. In other words, it didn't "stop" me.

I guess it all boils down to "carry what you feel good about," and for me it's a .45. I want the threat "stopped."

You got shot 7 times? I think after the first one, I might be looking for a new line of work (or at least a different part of town to patrol).

Glad you are ok.

I've seen several gun shot wounds from .22s and I would never rely on one for defense. Ive seen several .22 rounds that were stopped by the sternum or ribs, and even the ones that did make it through usually were clean through shots with relatively little damage. If that's all she has I would say take her out and get some trigger time but also demonstrate the pros and cons. My girlfriend doesnt like to shoot but I leave pistol at her place for when I'm not home ( work over nights as an EMT) she knows where it is and how to use it. Buy a larger caliber pistol or a pump shotgun and make it available so she can grab it if she needs it

My girlfriend is in a similar situation, she has of all things a very old Ruger Single Six that was her father's. On the Pathfinders, can you swap the cylinder for a .22 mag? If so I'd recommend this and loading it again with the hottest, heaviest solid projectiles you can find. I've got a case of Maxi-Mags that she keeps 6 in the gun. Not the "ideal" self defense gun but then again, it's better than nuthin'

i use cci mini-mags round nose for HD on my walther p22. i prefer deeper penetration over shorter with larger cavity. my concern is heavy clothing if i shoot at the torso or thick skulled if headshots are within distance. i haven't had any FTF with CCI's. i use federal 550 value packs for practice and usually get 1-2 FTF per box (of 550).

i also use winchester super x high velocity round nose. no FTF's with those either.

-a|ex

Back
Top Bottom