• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30 caliber suppressor newbie questions

On specs of suppressors I see minimum barrel length listed, what does that exactly mean? Minimum length to work properly? Stay in warranty? Or something different?

On specs of suppressors I see minimum barrel length listed, what does that exactly mean? Minimum length to work properly? Stay in warranty? Or something different?

Stay in warranty. Shorter barrel lengths can cause erosion or baffle strikes. If theres any damage to the internals it might not be covered under warranty. I'm not sure how this works though, like would a manufacturer be able to look at a baffle stack and say you've been running this on a 7" barrel and we are only rated down to 8"? Whose to say you were running it on a 7"?

I think it goes to the quality of the can though if theres a low minimum or no limit on barrel length.

Stay in warranty. Shorter barrel lengths can cause erosion or baffle strikes. If theres any damage to the internals it might not be covered under warranty. I'm not sure how this works though, like would a manufacturer be able to look at a baffle stack and say you've been running this on a 7" barrel and we are only rated down to 8"? Whose to say you were running it on a 7"?

I think it goes to the quality of the can though if theres a low minimum or no limit on barrel length.
thanks for the insight. I guess shooting .30-06 I would go off of 7.62 NATO minimum barrel length? The two I've been looking at hard is the gemtech tracker and the sdn6 that many have recommended. There's only an approximate $200 difference but with the amount of shooting I get to do I'm not sure it would be worth it, both great reviews but everyone is suggesting the sdn6 over it. I'll hopefully be in the position monetarily to make a purchase of either one.

Personally I stick to specs pretty hard. I don't have a .30 cal can but as far as 5.56 for example, you've got the SAKER, and the Surefire SB (short barrel) and others that are rated down to 7.5". If I was SBRing down to that BBL length I'd stick with a rated can and marry it up.

thanks for the insight. I guess shooting .30-06 I would go off of 7.62 NATO minimum barrel length? The two I've been looking at hard is the gemtech tracker and the sdn6 that many have recommended. There's only an approximate $200 difference but with the amount of shooting I get to do it would be worth it, both great reviews but everyone is suggesting the sdn6 over it. I'll hopefully be in the position monetarily to make a purchase of either one.
SDN6 over the Gemtech IMHO I've shot the SDN6 quite a bit my friend has one and like it a lot.

Personally I stick to specs pretty hard. I don't have a .30 cal can but as far as 5.56 for example, you've got the SAKER, and the Surefire SB (short barrel) and others that are rated down to 7.5". If I was SBRing down to that BBL length I'd stick with a rated can and marry it up.
I'm for sure sticking to specs I just wasn't sure what the minimum barrel length spec was about. Whatever can I get it'll mostly be mounted on my t/c compass. Might see a 300 blackout ar some but mostly on my bolt gun.

Gemtech Tracker is a hunter's can. So no more than 10 shots a minute strings. Im not a fan of AAC, SilencerCo is what AAC used to be. SilencerCo Omega has more options than the other 2 cans. Ive seen the SDN-6 on a meter and its just at 140db on .308. The problem I have with AAC's ratcheting system is that over time the teeth will wear out. Some say not true, but I think the ASR mount is a better mounting choice. YMMV and just my .02¢

Gemtech Tracker is a hunter's can. So no more than 10 shots a minute strings. Im not a fan of AAC, SilencerCo is what AAC used to be. SilencerCo Omega has more options than the other 2 cans. Ive seen the SDN-6 on a meter and its just at 140db on .308. The problem I have with AAC's ratcheting system is that over time the teeth will wear out. Some say not true, but I think the ASR mount is a better mounting choice. YMMV and just my .02¢

For those worried about the teeth wearing down on the AAC if you hold down the latch when you put it on you wont have that problem.

Since you are looking at 30-06 as a host, I would get a lighter hunting can. You are not going to be doing 25 rd mag dumps of 308, full auto rating is not needed. Also, the heavier cans will normally cause a great POI shift than the lighter ones. I know that my Harvester hits about 1" lower than plain barrel on my LR308. I also know that the ARC30 his about 2" lower on same gun with same ammo. Difference is Harvester weighs 13oz and ARC30 weighs 27oz.

I would suggest that you see about meeting up with a couple of people that shoot 308's and listen and feel how the cans perform. There will always be a tradeoff when selecting a suppressor (like cars), so get what you like since its your money.

Back
Top Bottom