• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

80 dollar hand gun?

I hope so. It looks like the gun is cleaning up nicely. If the pistol doesn't work out check out some of the old shotguns on the rack at gun shops.

Another option..and don't laugh but the Jennings J-22. I have one that was given to me about 15 years ago by my landlady at the time.

Aimless,

Yes it is sir. I got the magazine cleaned up after several hours. The spring seems good and the follower bottoms out without hanging up. I think it would work. I have cleaned up the frame and slide and did blast it twice, once with a grit mesh and finally with 80 grit glass beads. I took 100 grit sand paper and lightly sanded the flats. Then I took 400 grit to clean it up paying attention not to remove or reduce the markings.

Yeah a little .22 LR can do damage if it hits the right spot and when most knuckle heads are getting stung by them they tend to retreat and avoid the contact. Ed's Pawn had some Jennings .22LR pistols on sale for like $60 during the end of year sale but none currently.

I've got a cobra CA-380 and a cobra 380 derringer, the CA-380 is fairly reliable and the derringer always goes bang...picked em up for $75 a piece, either one would be a decent option and the 380ACP isn't the most powerful round but it would do the trick.

I think the lady would fair much better with a revolver, much less complicated for someone who is new to firearms. Im unemployed but can kick in $10(snail mail, no PP for me) With all the generous folks we have here, I dont see why we cant have her a .38 in a weeks time! Lets do this thing!

Swampbogger,

That's what I told her to get before she dropped the "I only have $80 to spend". .38 SPL Ammo is reasonably cheap and easy to get. It is a simple design and lends itself well to the new gun owner who shoots it once or not at all and puts it in the closet.

I have no doubt to the power of the ODT in making sure this woman has an adequate gun for self-defense. It's the good folks here that make it so. I can't count how many replies with offers of a small donations and those donations would snowball into a decent gun. It's really nice to know.

We may not have to dig in our pockets if this gun in a bag works out. It looks promising.

I've got a cobra CA-380 and a cobra 380 derringer, the CA-380 is fairly reliable and the derringer always goes bang...picked em up for $75 a piece, either one would be a decent option and the 380ACP isn't the most powerful round but it would do the trick.

The gun in the bag is a single stack stainless steel Sterling Arms .380. It's the same size or really larger than a single stack 9mm/.40 S&W.

Agree a .380 ACP will suffice, perhaps not a best choice but will work.

I have a Titan .25 cal and just traded one off here, their a good little gun and can be had from around $80 to $150...

I'm a big fan of the titan .25 pistols over a raven

fully agree with you there overlord steve. i just sold my titan but iv owned several of both it and the raven and the titans are definitely more sturdy. pretty cheap option to as most of the ones iv owned or in the $50ish range in decent shape. only hard part is finding cheap mags lol

Well the gun in the bag is coming along and I think we can keep our money in our pockets. This particular gun has been in a bag for over 20 years and was waiting for an excuse for me to mess with. I was starting to make some grips but cheap originals were available and I needed grip screws anyway.

So this:

i48.tinypic.com_2qb56dy.jpg

Went to this:

i50.tinypic.com_1ftrhw.jpg

i47.tinypic.com_2rcs5lg.jpg

i46.tinypic.com_idrk04.jpg

i45.tinypic.com_1zv4va9.jpg

i47.tinypic.com_2iqe4na.jpg

i49.tinypic.com_kanxg4.jpg

Soviet's color fill (sticky) did the trick for the red dot marking the safety.

Last edited:
The gun has some issues with ejection. Some research suggests the port is on the small side. Here is a similar pistol and the port extends to the center of the slide. Some relieve the extractor and slide too.

i46.tinypic.com_2hqt3di.jpg

Too small of an ejection port and a tired recoil spring make for a bad day at the range

i50.tinypic.com_2n06fqc.jpg

The port was opened up upwards to the sight plane and angled it so as to aid spent shells to be spit out. The extractor got some grinding to hopefully aid the path of spent shells to the yard.

Before:

i45.tinypic.com_ftn4l.jpg

During:

i47.tinypic.com_2znooxy.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_jz866p.jpg

i47.tinypic.com_2rddbt3.jpg

i45.tinypic.com_eas0hg.jpg

Still waiting on a recoil spring, I tried to temper it but failed as the wire is too thin for my torch and cools too much before I can quench it. The extractor spring and main/hammer spring were tempered fine. To re-use tired springs (hard to or not able to find) one can stretch the springs to the length desired, heat them cherry red, immediately toss in cold water then heat back up to anneal the spring so it won't fracture and shatter. The process can be repeated until satisfied.

With a new recoil spring this gun should run pretty good. My co-worker can save her $80 as this gun will be on loan to her until she can afford a better gun. I showed her the gun this Friday. She said that RamRoddoc loves her. I just hope she never has to ever use it but if the situation presented itself I'd want her to have a real means of defending herself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom