• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

80 dollar hand gun?

Come to think of it, I've got an old RG-14 .22LR that has been flawless through about 2,000 rounds. I only feed it .22 shorts to minimize wear. Not the finest or most accurate weapon, but it's fun enough and good for newbies to introduce them to handguns. Needs a new transfer bar since I dropped it onto the concrete a couple months back, but it's an easy fix. Anyways, might look at one of those. I think mine was around $80 when I got it.

I would think a cobra derringer could be had for around 100. Or better yet look around for an old h&r revolver. I see them at Clyde armory all the time for 80 bucks i assume from police seizures. Might be worth a call to them. Something simple like a derringer or revolver i would put more faith in than a cheap auto that will most certainly jam.

Come to think of it, I've got an old RG-14 .22LR that has been flawless through about 2,000 rounds. I only feed it .22 shorts to minimize wear. Not the finest or most accurate weapon, but it's fun enough and good for newbies to introduce them to handguns. Needs a new transfer bar since I dropped it onto the concrete a couple months back, but it's an easy fix. Anyways, might look at one of those. I think mine was around $80 when I got it.

Yeah back in 2002-03 time line, I helped another office lady that had been given a "gun" by her family. She was single near retirement and lived in a not so nice section of Atlanta. She knew nothing about guns other than you pulled the trigger.

I met her at the range and we started off in the classroom. I asked her if her gun was loaded. Picture a deer in your headlights. She didn't even know how to open it. I took an RG .22 revolver out of her Wal-Mart bag and proceeded to show her how to clear it. After removing the ammo from the hot gun and letting her know that she broke the range rule we discussed basics and went into the range.

At 5 yards she might as well threw the gun at someone as she would have better luck at hitting them. After some one on one coaching and encouragement she was able at the end of the session to keep all her shots on a playing card at 5 yards. She was very proud of herself and I took some measure of comfort knowing if some douchebag kicked in her bedroom door he would soon realize he made a big flipping mistake with this lady.

I do remember the trigger on that RG was really, really heavy. Even the single action but it went bang every time the hammer dropped on a round. It was cheap but reasonably effective for an inexpensive handgun without being overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom