• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Modest Proposal: A Truck Gun May Be Unrealistic

Leaving is almost ALWAYS an option, and I teach that to my students during the appropriate classes.

I am often out of town for 1-5 nights at a time. Let's say that during my absence, all Hell has broken loose back home. Wife and kid are locked in the house, with chaos around them. I have to get from the Atlanta Airport area to my home to secure my family. I would feel more comfortable if I had more than just my duty handgun, no matter how many rounds I have for it.

What if you're broken down on a long stretch of unoccupied rural highway, very late at night? In that case, a long gun would make me feel more comfortable.

I’ve never really run this scenario thru my mind but now I’m rethinking a long gun choice cause I too am gone from home at times for long periods and things “could” happen.

Time. Seconds are of the essence. If you are fiddling with fining the lock cable or putting in a combination, loading and unloading, your focus is elsewhere than what is going on around you. Just think, if carrying empty and having to rack your slide and having to chamber a round can get you killed, but this only takes a slit second, how much time and how dead are you when you have to perform all of these other steps? And, you are mentally aware and can fully focus on the situation at hand when you have to chamber a round on your carry gun which is already on your hip and in your hands. Not the same when fumbling around your vehicle when you have the mag remove, firearm locked out of sight, and an empty chamber.
naw, your more likely to get killed with the gun you left in your car than in the five seconds it takes

i carry a gun; not a truck gun. if i have to go inside a gov building it gets secured. seems simple to ne

A lot of folks call their truck rifle a "get me home gun." If you're in a situation where you need to eliminate a threat that is between you and home (in an extreme emergency) and you can't maneuver around it? A rifle is what you'll wish you had with you. I know there are several super double naught secret badassed operators around here that can make a head shot on the run at 100 yards with their Canik TP9SF, but I ain't that operator. I'll take a rifle.

If one breaks into your home, then breaks in to your safe and steals your firearms it is partly your fault? If not, how is it different if they break into a locked truck?
several layers of security difference and frequency of vehicle theft says the vehicle is not a safe place for valuables

A lot of folks call their truck rifle a "get me home gun." If you're in a situation where you need to eliminate a threat that is between you and home (in an extreme emergency) and you can't maneuver around it? A rifle is what you'll wish you had with you. I know there are several super double naught secret badassed operators around here that can make a head shot on the run at 100 yards with their Canik TP9SF, but I ain't that operator. I'll take a rifle.
kool story

get a lock or safe for your vehicle and its an even cooler story

Who said I didn't use a car safe?
19430313_BG1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom