• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Modest Proposal: A Truck Gun May Be Unrealistic

i get that and understand that point

but given that car break ins seem to be common, simply leaving a gun without another measure of security is dumb

i look at it this way: who here would leave a gold kruggerrand in a cup holder in their car? if you protect certain assets more than your firearms you are doing it wrong IMO

I have never once in this post advocated a truck gun without security.

You are making up situations that you are claiming are common, and I’m saying that in my professional experience they are not as common as you think they are. Another LEO here has chimed in and said the same thing, but you keep claiming the same drivel.

I have seen no one here advocate leaving a firearm in plain sight, and you are either completely missing the multiple points I am laying out, or are purposely being obtuse because you don’t have a counter.

ok......what does all that have to do with not securing a "truck gun"

and sure post the stats; im sure plenty of idiots have been shot or stabbed with their own weapons. but leaving a gun in your car when you're not there does what except present a liability??

btw, most former military and leo i come across dont know **** about guns like youd expect them to. lol im surprised when one is in any shape other than round :)

You stated earlier “if i got my gun on me then the perp may or may not have one; but at least he aint gonna use my own gun against me”. I’m stating that facts and statistics prove that you are more likely to be shot with the gun that you are carrying on your hip than you are with your firearm that the perp steals from your vehicle or home.

How many hours of training per year do you engage in that specifically involves handgun retention and “take backs”? LE does, it’s very common. When you CCW, do you use a holster with Level II or III retention? LE does. So, what I’m saying is that those LEO’s that you make fun of are more capable than you are when it comes to weapon retention and take backs. It’s easy enough to prove. I’m a LEO. Come to a class or range day I’m hosting, we’ll compare techniques and security.

i never posted stats; i said its more likely you will have a vehicle broken into than a home or business.

and feel free to do what you want but just locked in a vehicle is not securing your gun. do you have a reason to not properly secure your truck gun orger than laziness or simply being hard headed?

No, it has been stated here by me and one other LEO who have both worked countless numbers of these calls. I plainly stated it. There are more burglaries reported than there are forcible vehicle entries.

Where are you getting the information to make your statement that more vehicles are broken into than homes?

i never posted stats; i said its more likely you will have a vehicle broken into than a home or business.

and feel free to do what you want but just locked in a vehicle is not securing your gun. do you have a reason to not properly secure your truck gun orger than laziness or simply being hard headed?

Yea your "more likely to be stolen from a vehicle than a home" is false. You just wrote that to give your argument credit. Then when I ask for satistics, you said statistics were retarded.

It is YOUR opinion "hidden and locked" in a truck isn't secure. It has been working for me 33+ years. I have never had a firearm stolen. I know people that have. One was from a truck at a gun show. One was at work. The other 5 were from the home. 2 other current or former LE here posted that had also been their experience in the course of their employment. I dont ordinarily run a cable through my truck gun because I may need it quickly. If I have to park somewhere I think there is a high chance of a car break in I will cable lock it or take it with me in a bag or just have 2 firearms on me. I am pretty sure I could come to your home and point out all kinds of ways you could better secure firearms you leave at home. But that is not for me to tell you how u should secure your belonging.

should I just put a tarp over it when I go out, remove ammo or just leave as is?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 22
My vehicle firearm is my "get home" gun.
A vehicle is one hell of a weapon in itself.

America is in a time of crisis at the moment.

Medical supplies are spread thin and it would be a opportunistic time for some back water country or terrorist to attack the U.S.
So I have get home kit.

Any thing seen in your vehicle can lead to theft.

I have had a window busted out for a cheap jacket.

There are good options for securing gear in your car/truck.

What works best for me is a gun in a hefty trash bag with a couple bags of trash in the back of my truck.

See what I did there...lol.

Back
Top Bottom