• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Modest Proposal: A Truck Gun May Be Unrealistic

if i got my gun on me then the perp may or may not have one; but at least he aint gonna use my own gun against me

Nope. The rule of thumb for LE is that the vest you wear on duty has to, at a minimum, stop the caliber and round you carry in your sidearm. Why? The majority of LE are shot by a perp, using the cop’s own gun.

Say what you want about LE, the vast majority of them have waaay more weapon retention training than the folks on this site. I offer classes that cover those subjects and they are very under-attended by civilians. Additionally, I don’t know a uniformed LE that isn’t using a Level II or III retention holster, which most civilians do not. So, if trained LE are getting shot with their own guns, which they keep in holsters with more than one retention device, what do you think that says about instances of civilians having their CCW’s taken away from them?

That’s why I always tell folks that if you EDC, there is a firearm in every situation you’re involved in....because you brought it there.

The FACT is, more folks are shot with their own gun they brought to the gunfight than are shot with their own guns that the perp found in their vehicle or their home. I have plenty of data proving the former and have found not a single instance of either of the latter two.

It is rare for me to do so, but if I have to leave a gun in my truck, I field strip it and leave the different parts in separate, harder to find places.

not sure if true but whats more common, vehicle break in or home invasion?

this isnt about whether or not you should have a truck gun; its about being a dumbass by not securing it beyond what could prevent a smash and grab

honestly it surprises me so many odt members have this ignorant attitude when it comes to being safe with guns (safety goes beyond handling them, its about being proactive to prevent accidents and it falling into wrong hands)

so far no one has produced a reason to NOT secure a truck gun

A home invasion or a burglary? Two very different things. Home invasions are relatively rare.

Burglaries of homes are more common than perps using force to enter a vehicle. On top of that, the vast majority of vehicle B&E’s are committed by either kids or “crackheads”. Can’t count how many I worked where the victim said they didn’t have anything of value in their vehicle, and all the perps took was the change from the ashtray. The change from the ashtray?! How many folks here keep more than $10-$15 in chain in their ashtray? Why would any halfway serious criminal take that? They wouldn’t, but a young kid or a crackhead would.

Also, in many cases the victims had more expensive items shoved under the seat or in the trunk. Why wasn’t that stuff taken? Because the types of criminals that break into vehicles are into what they can grab in a few seconds and split.

In almost 100% of the cases I worked where a vehicle was forcibly entered and expensive items were taken, those items were lying in plain sight. No expensive items in plain sight, pretty good chance the vehicle will get passed up. Why? Because there are plenty of vehicles parked unattended with expensive items in plain view. Why take a chance on maybe getting something good, when you can definitely get something good. It’s as simple as window shopping.

I dont think any of you should assume the responsibility of a truck gun.

I’m not sure what that means. If you mean assume the responsibility for leaving a truck gun in my truck when I ain’t in the truck, I do it regularly. With my decades of training and experience, I do consider it to be more than adequately secured.

I’m not sure what that means. If you mean assume the responsibility for leaving a truck gun in my truck when I ain’t in the truck, I do it regularly. With my decades of training and experience, I do consider it to be more than adequately secured.
you been reading the posts, its a bitch fest.

Of course my 9mm is the gun that I’ll always be closest to, and probably the only gun that I’ll get a chance to use, but it’s no inconvenience to keep my Mini-30 in the overhead mount in my truck. Just cause.

27B8817E-0133-4EBB-8D63-71C8DD7A751C.jpeg

C46CBDE0-C2AB-42D7-B0F6-E5F87DACAAFA.jpeg

So what you are saying is you can't back up your previous statement.

I consider my truck firearm secure hidden in side a locked truck. Yet it is still quickly accessible for my use. You might help your argument if you would not post statistics you can't back up
i never posted stats; i said its more likely you will have a vehicle broken into than a home or business.

and feel free to do what you want but just locked in a vehicle is not securing your gun. do you have a reason to not properly secure your truck gun orger than laziness or simply being hard headed?

To be fair, I don’t think any one is advocating not securing weapons in vehicles. Most people seem to be arguing what is “secure enough”, and that becomes irrelevant at a certain point. What’s secure against one thief may not be secure against another - one who has more time, tools, and skill vs than one who’s just running through a parking lot checking for unlocked doors for example. No amount of security precaution will deter a determined thief, if he wants to break into something he will regardless of the security device used - key word “break” into, what can be made can be broken no matter how seemingly secure it is, it’s just a matter of time. That’s the key, time - put as many time consuming obstacles in their way as possible (wether that’s locks/hardware etc., or simply hiding the gun) and chances are, they will move on to a softer target. That’s security. The point is of course you should secure your firearm, but you should do so in a way that allows you to access it as quickly as possible.
i get that and understand that point

but given that car break ins seem to be common, simply leaving a gun without another measure of security is dumb

i look at it this way: who here would leave a gold kruggerrand in a cup holder in their car? if you protect certain assets more than your firearms you are doing it wrong IMO

Nope. The rule of thumb for LE is that the vest you wear on duty has to, at a minimum, stop the caliber and round you carry in your sidearm. Why? The majority of LE are shot by a perp, using the cop’s own gun.

Say what you want about LE, the vast majority of them have waaay more weapon retention training than the folks on this site. I offer classes that cover those subjects and they are very under-attended by civilians. Additionally, I don’t know a uniformed LE that isn’t using a Level II or III retention holster, which most civilians do not. So, if trained LE are getting shot with their own guns, which they keep in holsters with more than one retention device, what do you think that says about instances of civilians having their CCW’s taken away from them?

That’s why I always tell folks that if you EDC, there is a firearm in every situation you’re involved in....because you brought it there.

The FACT is, more folks are shot with their own gun they brought to the gunfight than are shot with their own guns that the perp found in their vehicle or their home. I have plenty of data proving the former and have found not a single instance of either of the latter two.
ok......what does all that have to do with not securing a "truck gun"

and sure post the stats; im sure plenty of idiots have been shot or stabbed with their own weapons. but leaving a gun in your car when you're not there does what except present a liability??

btw, most former military and leo i come across dont know **** about guns like youd expect them to. lol im surprised when one is in any shape other than round :)

Back
Top Bottom