• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on making final arrangements?

I remember it being around $10k when my brother and I had to bury our mom about 16 years ago. That's for the plot and casket. Sorry man, I know it's tough to do. It's not something people want to think about with their loved ones.

The spouse of a veteran is eligible for burial benefits and it will be very very reasonable outside of funeral home expenses.

Unless you have a stigma against it, cremation is much less expensive.
I went with Mrs. Klif to the funeral home that had buried my Father 9 years ago and my mother a year and a half ago, and where I bought 10 lots about 20 years ago. My dad had prepaid most of his final arrangements so that was easy and only cost my 1500 or so. Mom had burial policies and I had a lot and a vault already. The casket was less than 1000 bucks at the funeral home that did her enbalming and funeral. We had the funeral done in Suwanee and then she was taken to Douglasville with no on site funeral. All in for mom it cost out of pocket about 2200.

For the Mrs. and me, we went ahead and prepaid cremation (we will get the urns off ebay or amazon much cheaper than the funeral home). We have opted for no funerals other than the immediate family viewing with no casket or pretty clothes and just draped with a sheet, which is included in the cost. Total was $1300 each. They will pick up the body from either home or hospital, transport to cremation site or their site and then cremation site and delivery in a plastic box. We will both have celebrations of life at our church and there is no cost involved.

Wife's son died years ago and he was in one of the plastic boxes until a couple of years ago when she found an urn she liked and with engraving it was about $150. We took the bag of cremates out of the box (heavy clear plastic bag with metal tag inside). We had to open the bag to get the cremates moved around enough to go into the top of the urn. Slid the bag into the urn after we tied it off, closed the lid and he now sits on the mantle.

We can visit any time and don't have to drive to the cemetery and give them grief about the grass not being cut and stuff like that.

In my will, if I die before her, I have asked the ashes be split between her and my daughter, if she wants them.

It's a lot easier and a lot cheaper than a regular full blown funeral. My brother in law died 10 or so years ago and they didn't have insurance and they had not prepaid any of the cost (at need is much more expensive than pre-need so do what you have to do before he dies). He was a big, big boy and we had to get extra large coffin and all and it was over 15,000 out of my pocket.

This is something you really, really need to take care of rather than leaving to some one else to figure out and pay for.

The cost of the plot is just the beginning. There will be fees for the vault and other fees as well unless they prepaid them.

There is a cost involved for opening and closing the grave (about 1500 to dig the hole and put in the vault and then cover it all up). Cost of the marker can run from cheap free military one (if they are eligible) to many thousands of dollars for the marker. Charges for visitation room and number of hours it is open plus staff to hand out bottled water, cost for the funeral notices, cost for the obituary unless you want to go with the free 2 line Atlanta Journal one, cost for the death certificates (about $50 to $75 last I looked and you need 5 or 6 to close out bank accounts and other financial stuff, and then some money for the preacher and the organist if you are having a regular funeral.

It is major big business and the funeral director, if you are doing it "at need" will guilt you for every dollar. (It's their job, nothing against them, just like new car salesman want to sell you every bell and whistle).

I had Funeral Insurance for my Mother, so money was not the issue. My brother and his wife took care of the arrangement for my mother. The Funeral facility tried to screw my brother on casket and Limo. But, the people my brother hired to check over prices would tell him when they were over charging. We even had money left over. Did not want any of it. Good Luck.

I set mine up at age 66, paid for even the music and pics to be displayed all on DVD's. Urns, Funeral home service/viewing of pics, urns, Cremation) all ran my just over $3,500 in 2016. After seeing how many visits to graves at cemeteries my siblings and myself made I decided why bother with the added expense which is basically for the day of the service. If I go first my wife has everything handy, will, med directive, pwr aty, Funeral Home's association issued insurance policy covering all expenses at the 2016 paid price, at any member Funeral Home, most in Ga are, no extras, so other then my smiling face being gone, not a lot of thinking to do in the time of hopefully, grief.

I buried both my parents. Mom 29 years ago and dad 12 years ago. I have been to their grave site 1 time. I do not have memories of them there. That is why I will be cremated and sprinkled in the Etowah River. My boys and I have made many good memories floating that river and I hope when I pass they will make their own with their kids.

I don't understand how some have viewing before the service...I'd rather remember someone the way they were, rather than how they are after passing..But that is just me

I agree 100%. Never went into the room for either parent or grand parent to view. I also don't understand going to the funeral home for 2 evenings to allow for the viewing.

When I'm gone, cremate me, take me to the river and dump me in and do a shot of good bourbon, but you gotta pour a little in the water for me.

Back
Top Bottom