• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else quicker without dot?

I have dots on everyone of my serious pistols with the exception of my deep concealment guns due to size considerations. Dots will 100% make anyone faster and more accurate. If you’re one of the people here claiming you’re faster with irons, it’s simply because your presentation is sloppy. Irons allow you to be a mediocre shooter. Shooting pistols are already challenging so I think a lot of shooters are okay with mediocrity because it’s easier than putting in the extra work. The thing is, if you do put in the work you will actually end up even faster with irons than you currently are. You still will be slower than a dot though. The good news is you can put in that work pretty easily at home just practicing your presentation and trigger press over and over again until it becomes muscle memory. Then go to the range and put yourself on the clock.

There is a reason that every special forces unit in the US military, and a lot of LEO agencies, are starting to use dots, because they work. Those of us here were around in the late 90s will recall these same comments about red dots on rifles yet I think everyone can agree a red dot on a rifle is faster than irons on a rifle.

So ill weigh in I'm pretty good with a dot I tell everyone the same thing. Tip 1 If your focusing on the dot your doing it wrong. Tip 2 target gocus hard and I mean like hard 😅. Tip 3 put tape in front of your red dot and then focus on the target hard again. Tip 4 redo it again and again. As for presentation or finding the dot that's when I'll need to see what your doing in person to really help you out. I frequent dead center, and I'm doing cherokee gun club matches more frequently now. Only done 2 idpa matches and got 6th in my last one out of 52 or 54 can't remember.

Close targets, say IPSC targets inside 7 yards, irons vs dot doesn't make a difference as I'm relying on physical index to make the shot and doing little if any visual confirmation with the sights. My times and hits on a 5- or 7-yard Bill or Blake drill don't change between irons and a dot.

The dot pulls ahead as shot difficulty picks up. Shooting an array of partial targets at 20+ yards, I will smoke my irons scores with a dot. It's so much faster to look at a precise spot on the target and slide a sharp red dot over that spot than to look at a spot and line up blurry front and rear sights.

You can see this in USPSA stage results. When it's close, fast shooting, it's mostly a test of visual processing and gun handling and the top irons guys are mixed in with the top optics guys in the results. On stages with lots of tight partials and far steel, mid-pack optics guys will start beating top irons guys.

Some observations on dots that I wrote a while back: link.

I have one spot left in my December 3 class at South River Gun Club in Covington (sign up on Practiscore). If you're faster with irons than a dot, sign up and I'll get you sorted out.

Some valuable sources are going to be the modern samurai project scott, and Aaron from sage dynamics. The mastery of the dot is not a complex thing it's just a a blur when your at speed if your thinking it's got to be a crisp dot the entire time that may be the issue.

Some valuable sources are going to be the modern samurai project scott, and Aaron from sage dynamics. The mastery of the dot is not a complex thing it's just a a blur when your at speed if your thinking it's got to be a crisp dot the entire time that may be the issue.

Scott is definitely one of the Pistol Red Dot gurus. He also has great instruction on drawstroke, presentation and grip as well.

Reactions: Dav
It's only for very tight shots like plates or head boxes at 20+ yards that you need to wait for a stable dot. Most of the time you're shooting a streak.

No amount of shooting slow will get you shooting fast. You have to hit the gas and sort things out at speed. It's an ugly process where you make a lot of mistakes as you learn to hold things together. I do a bunch of demo runs in my classes where I push past my limits and show students what productive training looks like.

Scott is definitely one of the Pistol Red Dot gurus. He also has great instruction on drawstroke, presentation and grip as well.

As over right now I can do the black belt standards 5 to 6 time out of 10 times depending on how I feel that day. I'll be taking his instructor course in December to see if he can help me get my consistency up to at least a 8 to 9

Back
Top Bottom