• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else quicker without dot?

It may be stigmatic eyes? But after getting over the learning curve (3yrs) with handgun (RMR like) red dots, both prism and holographic… I shoot faster without the Dot. Not trying to start trouble or break the platform lol ; just wondering if others have tried red dots on their carry pistol and decided to take it off? Note: I LUV shouldering a firearm with a red dot , most recently picked up a Vortex AMG 2.0 and am absolutely satisfied and looking into getting a cool magnifier for it. I’ve tried different “edc” dots like Vortex Venom&Viper , Delta Point , SwampFox, 2 enclosed and the likes, and I’ve found that the only gun I do better with a dot is a .22 (TX22 & Walther WMP right now) when hunting squirrel or trying to squeeze the tightest group out of’em… both instances “taking my time, propping, no rush type situations”. I’ve used plates, no plates, and locktite and still end up being off over time (a different thread probably?) . I don’t shoot every day, somewhere between moderate and semi-extreme maybe. If I’m making kill shots standing with my favorite 9mm&10mm edc’s without dots I’m thinking that fixing whatever I’m doing wrong with the dot would help at longer ranges than 20 yds ? Hoping for clarity, advice, fun ??

I am right there with you I tried several different dot sites on several different handguns and just didn't care for it and I really like dot sights on my long guns.

I worked with RDS on pistols a bit and ended up going back to iron sights. I am slow - but still faster with iron sights on a pistol. RDS are great on rifles, and I end up finding a way to install one on every long gun I own.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record in this thread, training is unequivocally the solution to being fast on a dot.

There is now a plethora of instructors, including some that were around when iron sights were invented lol, that teach shooting pistol with RDS.

Of course, there is still quite a bit of debate amongst these professionals who spend more time shooting in a month than most of us can commit to in a year as to which is better in what context. But if that's not a consideration, then training and practice will fill the speed gap.

Most folks tend to "over-focus" on getting the dot right where they want it and in the dead center of their window, which costs increments of time. The phrase many folks teach is "float the dot and shoot your shot." It's a trained mindset of getting the dot within an acceptable sight picture and sending the round. Most of us take a shot when our irons aren't perfectly aligned whether we realize it or not, because irons give us a larger acceptable sight picture.

The biggest, as has been stated, is consistent presentation. If your presentation is not practically the same every time you bring the gun up to your sightline, you're going to struggle to see the dot predictably. This might mean changing up the way you present, punch out, press out, I don't care what they're calling it this week. And once you have a good presentation, practicing it until you see the dot every time.

And although I haven't had the chance to try it, the ACSS reticle someone else posted about looked like a good option as well.

And in regards to the optic failing or being obstructed, there are methods that work around this as well. Again, training from a competent instructor will provide that solution.

Personally, I'm still generally quicker on irons up close, as is typical. But after shooting a buddy of mine's pistol with a Deltapoint, I was blown away. I shot his Canik, which I had never shot previously, better that day than any of my own guns that I have thousands of rounds on. Way faster on follow ups, transitions, and my group at 25 yards was literally half the size of the group I made with irons (no surprise there).

Idle curiosity.........FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TRIED BOTH IRONS AND DOTS......

What is the age range of those that prefer irons vs those that prefer a red dot?
Is there any correlation to age?

What is the training level of those that prefer irons vs those that prefer a red dot?
Is there any correlation to training?

Myself- I prefer irons, on the wrong side of 50 something, and I shoot regularly, but my classroom training level is rookie with a capital R.

As your eyes (usually) deteriorate with age, you'll start to find that all other things being equal, a red dot becomes more and more useful.

Anyone can learn to use a red dot, it's all down to familiarity and training, but the amount of training will vary person-to-person. It can be dispiriting if you've got a lifetime of experience (and competence) in using irons.

It's not so much an issue of classroom training as just getting used to red dots and putting in the practice. Ideally 'structured' practice. Learning to use a red dot doesn't require attendance at courses any more than learning to use iron sights does.

In my case, I think it took me about 60 days (20 mins a day, 6 days a week) of dry fire with my Mantis and Laser Academy set up to get "pretty good" at red dot. In that time I guess I visited the range about 5 or 6 times for an hour of live fire. The dry fire was particularly important because naturally, the big thing to deal with is that your draw and presentation will change in subtle ways which will only really be locked in by changes to your muscle memory.

Back
Top Bottom