• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else quicker without dot?

Idle curiosity.........FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TRIED BOTH IRONS AND DOTS......

What is the age range of those that prefer irons vs those that prefer a red dot?
Is there any correlation to age?

What is the training level of those that prefer irons vs those that prefer a red dot?
Is there any correlation to training?

Myself- I prefer irons, on the wrong side of 50 something, and I shoot regularly, but my classroom training level is rookie with a capital R.
Are you trying to steer this into a boomer vs millennial thread?

What is the age range of those that prefer irons vs those that prefer a red dot?
Is there any correlation to age?

What is the training level of those that prefer irons vs those that prefer a red dot?
Is there any correlation to training?

For someone who has spent literally decades being front sight focused and having tens, if not, hundreds of thousands of reps with irons, the transition to being target focused and using a dot will certainly be more difficult than someone who's habits have not become so deeply ingrained.

So the age groups' differing opinion tend to reflect this. Like i said, there are plenty of older guys that still prefer irons because of their lifetime spent using them, but also recognize the advantages of red dots.

If a person gets trained how to make the change correctly, and then devote to practicing heavily, proficiency will come.

To your second point, people I've taught to shoot at a beginner level make significantly faster progress using the dot than with irons. YMMV

Anyone can learn to use a red dot, it's all down to familiarity and training, but the amount of training will vary person-to-person. It can be dispiriting if you've got a lifetime of experience (and competence) in using irons.

It's not so much an issue of classroom training as just getting used to red dots and putting in the practice. Ideally 'structured' practice. Learning to use a red dot doesn't require attendance at courses any more than learning to use iron sights does.

I agree fervently. But I will say, the time it takes to make marked improvement will be cut down significantly if a person is able to be trained by someone qualified to teach red dot pistol shooting. Or pistol shooting in general.

The tips and tricks I got would have taken me 10,000 rounds to truly figure out definitely paid for price of the class.

All of my EDC pistols have red dots now as do my wife's. I crossed over 3-4 years ago and haven't looked back. Between military, private sector and LE careers I've got thousands of handgun rounds using irons but the red dot just came natural to me same as it did with similar rifle mounted systems.

Red dots improved my shooting across the board especially at 25 yards and over with handguns.

I'm 40, former semi-pro 3 gun shooter with irons.

dots are faster if you do the work. Dots are more accurate if you do the work.

I'm offering anybody the use of 2x dotted 365s or a dotted glock 17 AND a Les Baer 1911 that's guaranteed to hit 3" at 50 yards to see which they shoot more accurately. I'm almost ashamed to say I can print ~the same size groups at 10 yards with a 3" garbage plastic pistol as I can the machine made for this. And I'm good.

I'll buy ammo. You buy booze after.

As your eyes (usually) deteriorate with age, you'll start to find that all other things being equal, a red dot becomes more and more useful.

Anyone can learn to use a red dot, it's all down to familiarity and training, but the amount of training will vary person-to-person. It can be dispiriting if you've got a lifetime of experience (and competence) in using irons.

It's not so much an issue of classroom training as just getting used to red dots and putting in the practice. Ideally 'structured' practice. Learning to use a red dot doesn't require attendance at courses any more than learning to use iron sights does.

In my case, I think it took me about 60 days (20 mins a day, 6 days a week) of dry fire with my Mantis and Laser Academy set up to get "pretty good" at red dot. In that time I guess I visited the range about 5 or 6 times for an hour of live fire. The dry fire was particularly important because naturally, the big thing to deal with is that your draw and presentation will change in subtle ways which will only really be locked in by changes to your muscle memory.
Take’s me more than 20 minutes to get all my **** out and set up lol. I know you probably meant shooting time…

Thanks for all the input. I’d probably be to close or way to far away for it to really be a problem honestly. I will be trying another circle dot Holosun soon even if I see 2 circles and dots lol.

Back
Top Bottom