• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Astronomers Catch Mysterious Radio Blast From the Distant Universe

Have you seen Interstellar yet? Opinions?
Yes. It's a good movie and primarily based on theoretical astrophysics, but they also took some license with the science in the story. Remember, they were only able to go where they did because some mysterious force provided them with a wormhole, not because of human technology.

The natural time shifts they experienced are theoretically true. What they experienced entering the Black Hole, uh...no. What they experienced IN the Black Hole would be laughable, but they attributed it to the mysterious intelligent force again. In case you don't remember, the supposition was that the intelligent force was some kind of highly evolved descendant of human beings that was doing it from far in the future.

Nothing can survive being pulled into a black hole. It is utterly destroyed and broken down to sub atomic particles. However, time relative to the rest of the universe also effectively stops as the object reaches the event horizon, so it would appear that it is trapped at that point until the black hole itself ceases to exist.

Last edited:
Yes. It's a good movie and primarily based on theoretical astrophysics, but they also took some license with the science in the story. Remember, they were only able to go where they did because some mysterious force provided them with a wormhole, not because of human technology.
Right. Some scientists like Tyson find the science sound for what it is. Others have dismissed it out of hand because the science behind the blight is so faulty.

Hey, it's a movie. He is one of my favorite filmmakers but I take it for what it is, entertainment.

Have you seen Interstellar yet? Opinions?
The characters certainly weren't compelling. There was little backstory, little relationship development, and going into a black hole to wind up behind your bookcase was a little silly. I guess their physics advisers have taken the position of the multi-verse instead of super-symmetry.

As to FTL (Faster Than Light) travel. There is no evidence at all that it is possible to just go faster than light. Theoretically, nothing can do that. We would have to leave normal space to achieve it.

Right. Some scientists like Tyson find the science sound for what it is. Others have dismissed it out of hand because the science behind the blight is so faulty.

Hey, it's a movie. He is one of my favorite filmmakers but I take it for what it is, entertainment.
It was educational, because it did present theories about space/time that most people really don't understand. I don't think the theories behind the blight are important. The blight was simply the premise for the basic situation, a need for the human race to leave the earth. That could have been caused by many things.

The characters certainly weren't compelling. There was little backstory, little relationship development, and going into a black hole to wind up behind your bookcase was a little silly. I guess their physics advisers have taken the position of the multi-verse instead of super-symmetry.

The multiverse and supersymmetry are not mutually exclusive. Supersymmetry tries to fix the problems with the Standard Model that applies to our know universe (it has failed to do that so far...Higgs). It does not prevent the possibility of a multiverse.

The multiverse and supersymmetry are not mutually exclusive. Supersymmetry tries to fix the problems with the Standard Model that applies to our know universe (it has failed to do that so far...Higgs). It does not prevent the possibility of a multiverse.
Correct, but generic multiverse theories favor no supersymmetry. How exciting though right? Just to be a common dude and have access to this type of information about our universe(s) is truly incredible.

IF you have netflix and a spare 1.5 hours, watch "Particle Fever".

http://particlefever.com/

Last edited:
Correct, but generic multiverse theories favor no supersymmetry. How exciting though right? Just to be a common dude and have access to this type of information about our universe(s) is truly incredible.

It is amazing the amount of information we literally have at our fingertips. People just need to be discerning when considering the source. When I was growing up, World Book Encyclopedia (with regular updates) was a rather large, but considered necessary investment for our family.

Thanks for the referral. I'll be checking it out.

Just watched it. WOW! Great documentary and very interesting. I sure hope they find more particles when they can operate at full power. The idea that the weight of the Higgs means it's unstable without the discovery of more particles is disturbing to say the least. It would mean that it could completely destabilize randomly at any monument and matter would simply cease to exist. On the other hand, it may already be happening on relatively small scales (compared to the entire universe) and we just haven't observed it. What would that even look like? Perhaps that is the explanation of what creates a black hole. They say that time, space and matter completely break down in one. :noidea:

I don't understand why they take the approach that it must be either the multiverse or supersymmetry. The discovery that the weight of the Higgs falls directly between the expectation of each theory would seem to indicate they could both be true. Of course, I don't have anything close to the understanding that these people do, but couldn't supersymmetry bolster the Standard Model, which is an explanation of how physics works in OUR universe, without effecting the possibility that the natural laws of other universes are different? I wish they would have gone into more detail about that.

Back
Top Bottom