• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Be careful riding

what porsche? the wife is wanting another sporty car. She used to ride and do track days with me (street triple R), and had an m3 convertible for a while but is driving a leaf now. :) says it time to get something sporty or at least a bit more fun to drive.
Panamera Hybrid S. I know a lot of folks don't like them but man is that car capable. My buddy and I hit the mountains last Sun and he has a Ferrari and I had no trouble keeping up with him in the tight stuff, and once we hit Blood Mountain into the sweepers I actually lost him.

Panamera Hybrid S. I know a lot of folks don't like them but man is that car capable. My buddy and I hit the mountains last Sun and he has a Ferrari and I had no trouble keeping up with him in the tight stuff, and once we hit Blood Mountain into the sweepers I actually lost him.
gime the keys...i'll drive... Porsche beating a Ferrari ...someone s not driving it right..LOL!

I haven't been back on my bike since Aug. 14th when I broke my right leg after hitting a wet spot on the road coming out of the gas station. Shattered the top of the tibia, split it down the center like firewood and cracked the front of it. Snapped the fibula right below the knee and broke the cartilage in the knee joint. I'm still doing physical therapy and I've come a long way but still using a cane to get around with and can't walk very far yet. Got me a nice L shaped steel plate & 7 big ole screws in the tibia to hold it back together. These nice days and seeing other bikers out makes me miss riding but after more than 45 years of riding and no SERIOUS crashes I'm really considering selling my bike. That's the strange part about breaking my leg this bad, I didn't crash when I broke it, I just grabbed my pants leg and put my foot back on the footboard and rode another mile and a half to where I was going. I didn't know my leg was broken when I did it, I thought I tore a ligament or tendon at the time. Not till the doctor showed me the x-rays did I even believe it was broken. I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that I may not ever be able to ride again, but I never want to feel that kind of pain again. It still hurts like hell.

After reading this thread and the horror stories of others accidents, I decided to consider everyone's opinion that is advising to quit riding.

I thought about it for about 3 hours. So I went riding with some friends and enjoyed my day. And I will till I am no longer able. Every one dies someday. I would rather die doing what I love, then live without living life to the fullest.

The reason I thought about it that long was because it took me that long to replace a seal. LOL

I rode most of the day today, but at Highland Park riding area. Good fun. I rode my 950 a good part of the day and switched to the 450 later on when I started to get a bit tired.

miss having a proper 'street bike' but one of these days I'll get another. I guess I do have a road king but that's not really what I was thinking. ;)

and yes, the Panamara is a very nice car. I've got some friends that have done the Porsche driving school thing and they were amazed at the handling of it. Wife wants one.

After reading this thread and the horror stories of others accidents, I decided to consider everyone's opinion that is advising to quit riding.

I thought about it for about 3 hours. So I went riding with some friends and enjoyed my day. And I will till I am no longer able. Every one dies someday. I would rather die doing what I love, then live without living life to the fullest.

The reason I thought about it that long was because it took me that long to replace a seal. LOL
I'd probably keep riding except I'm not sure I'll even be able to hold up the bike anymore plus the fact that my wife has MS and she needs me to be alive to take care of her. I still haven't made my mind up to sell the bike yet either, I still go out to my shop building and crank it up once a week and my son takes it out to run it every couple of weeks. I still love to hear those V&H Longshots sounding off, it's better than listening to music.

Last edited:
I wonder what the statistics show, but I would bet most of these fatal wrecks involve sport bikes and young(er) riders. I doubt that an 18 year old has the proper experience to ride with a passenger on (presumably) a sport bike. But sometimes even experience is no match for some of these idiots on the road today, so who knows if it was avoidable?

Very, very sad. This young girl should've never been on the back of that bike with an 18 year-old at the helm, though.

I remember reading some statistics from the National Institute of Highway Safety years ago.
This is some of what I remember;

On a bike you're most likely to have an accident in the first 6 months, if you don't have an accident in the first 6 months, you're likely to have an accident in the first year. If you don't have an accident in that first year it's likely you can continue riding without ever having an accident.

Most bike accidents happen on Friday and Saturday night, if you don't ride on a Friday or Saturday night your chances of having a fatal accident drop to almost zero.

So just maybe the young man wasn't as experienced as he should have been, but then again it appears to have been the other drivers fault.

I've lost several friends over the years in fatal bike accidents and it's always sad and sometimes their fault.

I've pretty much stopped riding at night now, the eyes just aren't good enough.
But I'm hell in the daylight!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom